Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading In Reception

would people share with me their teaching of reading in reception- i work overseas, we are using letters and sounds currently working in phase 3, children also select reading books- scheme ones from banded boxes and share with a practitioner before taking them home, this happens 2 times a week, we also send sight vocab games for parents to play-

would like to here how people organise reading books etc and what is recommended as best practice thanks look forward to hearing from you all

We do exactly the same as you! We also:

Give each child a library book to take home each week which they choose themselves with a TA. These aren't banded or staged in any way and the children can choose from a variety of text types too.

Work with the children once a week as a guided reading session. Here chidlren are heard read in a group (sometimes they are grouped by their reading stage, other times we mix the groups) and we directly teach particular reading skills according to the children's needs.

The whole school splits for phonics at the same time everyday so that each teacher delivers a different phase as in my foundation calss I have children ranging from phase 1 to 3.

We also use the letters and sounds programme but use Jolly Phonics actions when teaching phonemes.

Hope this helps,

Tinky :o

Thanks, about how long do you spend on your guided reading- we are doing our reading books individually with children- I am trying to look at our balance across 6 areas- glad to know we are on the right tracks- it is hard without la guidance but we try

Well...

We hear children read individually as well as a guided read as our headteacher feels that the children are not getting enough 1:1 attention during GR sessions. I have to disagree as you are able to be more focussed with what you are teaching during a guided reading session, rather than rushing through each indvidual child! We normally spend 10-15 mintues with each group and there are between 4-6 children in a group depending on their ability etc.

Tinky :o

Tinky I agree about guided reading and we do not hear children read individually unless they are in the book area at child initiated time and ask if they can read to us. Children do not learn to read by us hearing them read individually but I do believe it is important for children to have some 1 - 1 time and encourage parents, carers, grnadparents to do this with their children. We also invite peopel in to school to do this and it works well.

We do letters and sounds and each phase is taught by a different teacher or TA. Children grouped from Reception to Year 2 depending on what phase they are on.

Children have 1-2 guided reading sessions each week and they take their guided reading book home, an easier (decodable phonics book) and a library book to share each week. We are finding this works well. Less pressure from parents for children to be reading text that they cant possibly read. They have had the input with the guided reading book which of course should be slightly difficult for them and they choose a book from a phase box so if they are on phase 2 they choose a phase 2 book. These books in theory they should be able to read easily. The library book is noted in their diaries for SHARING only with a parent.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)