Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq 3 Unit C2 Help!

i am in the middle of doing unit c3 and have found myself at a stand still with a few questions.

Kus 14, Question 1) explain how equipment used to develop gross motor skills can be adapted for children with difficulties or special needs

2) what potential do wheeled toys, both standard and adapted, have for use by children with disabilities

Kus 4

explain how free creative activities help children to devlop fine manipulative skills

Kus 5, explain the importance of hand eye coordination and fine motor skills in the development of formal educational skills such as writing.

please can somebody help me, i would much appreciate any input anybody could offer.

Thanks

Stevedeny,

It's abit late for me at the moment and without my files I will need to conjure up all the answers from scratch but I promise to get back to you. :) There is always help around so don't despair!! :D

To get you started try these sites

flaghouse

click on the 'special populations catalogue'

www.tfuk.com

lekotek

Some of the educational catalogues, such as Hope, Galt, NES Arnold etc have small sections on special needs if you can get hold of some of these to look at. I made a montage of pictures of toys/activities suitable for developing gross motor skills, which I cut out of catalogues. This was for three age groups (0-2, 3-5 and over 5s) in which I included activities for special needs.

Children in wheelchairs are obvious (you'll be thinking about developing their upper body) but remember to think about children with sensory difficulties as well. Include things like 'textured' balance beams and balls and things that are brightly coloured.

Will get back to you with more soon. :)

Thanks Carol, some good info to get me started, ive done most of the other Kus questions, just getting stuck with the ones mentioned, i find it so hard because we dont have any special needs in our setting, im trying to get C3 out of the way before going back to work week after next. ill then be getting bogged down with planning, which im still finding my way through. Christmas, that will be fun. thanks again carol any info is much appreciated, as you probably know, it will all come in handy some where

thanks again

Been pondering on the second part of your question about wheeled toys. The only thing I can come up with so far is that they are easier to move about than other things and so the children with difficulties will be more likely to use them. Obviously the more they use them the better developed the muscles will become. If a child finds something too difficult they will be inclined to give up rather than persevere. Anyone else out there got any ideas on this one??? :o

As regards free creative activities and fine motor skills just think about what you're trying to develop. Children get a chance to use pencils, crayons, chalks, paintbrushes, gluesticks, sponges etc, all of which involve them developing their grip and working the muscles in their hands and arms. Also collage activities where children are picking up small items, which requires really fine movements of the fingers. Giving children plenty of opportunity to use and develop scissor skills too - all the time they will be working those all important muscles. And don't forget that after they have got messy hands they will need to wash them - a routine which is also great for developing fine motor skills. :D Include playdough in creative play as well - this is excellent for even very young children - kneading, manipulating, using tools etc. There's loads really - think about all the creative activities and how many things involve them using their hands and arms. :)

The first thing that springs to my mind about creative activities helping with fine motor control is about picking up fine sprinkles, glitter, beads, sequins etc for sticking down on paper or card, (and using the glue spreaders).

Other good activities are using modelling tools with playdough or clay (also pushing in seeds, pulses, beads etc to create patterns in the dough), writing in the sand with fingers or sticks, etc

Sewing activities with bodkins, thread and large-holes binca material or canvas, etc.

Roleplay: dressing and undressing, doing up buttons, zips, velcro fastenings, etc

Small world play: manipulating small objects, setting up rooms in dolls' house, dinosaurs in the swamp, cars in the garage, fitting together train track and road layouts.etc.

And, of course, all the tools young children should have free access to, such as pens, pencils, crayons, felt tips, scissors, split pins, and staplers (with supervision of course!) to make little books and notelets with. Different sizes of paint brushes are a good idea too, as are chalks for drawing/writing on blackboard or outside hard surface.

Hope this helps :)

im amazed, thanks for all your help, :o

its great to know their are people out their to give the advise. these three units, i have plodded along with very little help, hardly seen tutor, i had an assesment of E3 and C2 last week, its so nice to get the help and advice off those with experience. thanks again :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)