Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Graduate Status

Hi, I just wanted to get other peoples views on what you thought about practitioners gaining the graduate status and whether you thought this would improve the way that the foundation stage is delivered in settings in the long term....

It might make a difference to some settings!

I am doing the degree course so that come 2015 our private part of the nursery either doesn't shut down or get taken over by someone with a degree.

I have 25 years plus experience which appears to count for little so I will need that bit of paper.

A degree doesn't make someone a better practitioner......

However I am only on my second term but already I feel I am thinking more about the things I do and why I do them in my practice and I think I will take this knowledge into work with me and they will benefit!

My Head has great confidence in his early years staff.

In May the newly opened part of the provision (open for 9 months) got outstanding for nursery education and outstandings and goods for the rest........... now he wants to know how will a degree raise these standards???!!!!!!!!!!!

I expect the arguements could rage over this one......... and I can see both sides to the arguement!

I think that everyone benefits from education so yes it must make a difference, but I also agree that heart and soul is a must have for this job, if your heart isn't in it a piece of paper won't magically bring good practice.

It takes certain types of dedicated, patient, caring, open-minded people to keep up to date with research and current thinking, even if you have been doing the job for years there is still lots to learn and we should all be open to new thinking - trouble is the government have done a bit of overkill with early years and the goalposts keep changing and probably will keep moving - which in turn makes the workforce confused and some demoralised. I work with some lovely ladies who have no qualifications and eventually they will have to train or move out of childcare - they are fabulous at what they do with no training but instinct - having said that a mixture of well qualified staff and naturally able staff make an ideal combination.

I have struggled for the last 3 years to get my degree and am nearly there, I have 5 children of my own and many other work commitments but if I can do it - well anyone can - I have found the studying both impossible and wonderful - it opens your mind and reassures you about the provision you offer.

:oxD:( :( :( :wacko:

I believe that you have to have a passion for the job and children but training to graduate status can only benefit yourself and those you work with - adults and children. I have nearly finished my degree and plan to stay at uni to complete the EYPS. I feel that I have a better knowledge and understanding in early years which has made a huge impact on my practice.

in theory yes,

in practise i feel early years has too much paperwork and hoop jumping I didnt need a degree to keep up with it all I need 12 pairs of hands and a a few extra paid hours in the day ....oh and a bigger faster printer and laminator!

I enjoyed studying for my own personal development and would recomend it to anyone, but as for improving delivery of the eyfs im not so sure degrees that we need?.