Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds Advice

Hi Everybody, I think this might be the first topic I have started so here goes...

We follow the Letters and Sounds in my nursery setting and all the advice and training I have received on the subject says to leave Aspect 7 until the Summer Term and then only use it with the children who are going to school and are ready.

I have several children in my key group who are more than ready for Aspect 7, they have been hearing the initial sounds of words for ages and are now starting to express an interest in sounding out other words and today, bless them asked me what comes after 'e-l-f-a' in 'elephant'! ( I was thinking we will start with 'c-a-t' 'd-o-g' etc, ambtious are my children! lol)

Anyway, I guess I'm just after some reassurance that it is OK to use Aspect 7 with these children as they are interested in segmenting and blending of sounds, it is not something I have suggested, it is a totally child-led interest? And if I am questioned as to why I am doing such activities with the children, I have observations to back up this information. I am also worrying as I am a nursery nurse at the end of the day, I'm not a teacher and I don't want to set them up wrongly for school.

The children in question are between 4 years 3 months and 4 years 1 month.

Thanks in advance for any advice/words of wisdom.

Are you in a school nursery? You should be guided by your teacher but it is more important to go with the children than by a timetable. I think the summer term should be guidance only although it would not be agood idea to rush at Aspect 7 before the children are ready.

Good luck. Hope it goes well.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not in a school nursery no, I'm in the Pre-School Room of a Private Day Nursery, hence me not having anyone to really ask. Although we do get teacher support from the LA, she only comes once every 3 months or so! I will check it with her when she comes.

My gut instinct is to go with what the children obvioulsy want to do... hmmm....

thanks again for replying

In that case I think you have nothing to lose by following the lead you see with the children.Dont be frightened about stopping if the children do seem to be responding or push ahead too quickly but you are working with these children and you know them best!

In that case I think you have nothing to lose by following the lead you see with the children.Dont be frightened about stopping if the children do seem to be responding or push ahead too quickly but you are working with these children and you know them best!

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed somebody to say, sometimes I just get a little...erm...I don't know... I doubt myself! Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)