Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Write Dance

Can anyone help. After a course last summer I was inspired by Write Dance and my head bought the scheme. Now I have come to actuually do it I'm having second thoughts.

I agree witht the basic idea but find the detail in the manual a little overwelming in theory. What I find most difficult is the beginning dance sessions with children. The volcano was fine- I'd seen and done that and knew ideas for the dance but the other dances don't have much detail (or am I missing something?) about how to move about proir to the paper stage.

Can anyone tell me the sorts of moves / prompts / instructions they give to the children for any of the other Write Dance dances??

Thank you in advance!?!?

Hi Karen!

So far this year, as well as the volcano we have learnt the Lazy 8's and Robot dances. We have used the hall to enjoy the music firstly, then I started to introduce some of the moves in the book (the ones I could remember) and then I taught some of them when the group were all sitting with me and they went off and had a go for themselves (hope this is making sense!!) We will try one more dance all together as a class before 1/2 term. (I've skipped dance no. 2 as I think that this one is quite a hard one for the children to get to grips with)

After 1/2 term I plan to split the class in two groups. One group will stay in class & have a go at doing some work on paper (difficult to find space for all the children to draw at once on a large scale) whilst the other class go to the hall to work on more aspects of the dances purely as dances. I'm very lucky in that my TA & I will alternate which space we work in & she is happy to do that.

Went on a course with RV last year, she really emphasized how important it is to have fun, take it as far as you want/feel confident & just get in there doing it! We all get better when we have a chance to practise/try things out. That's so true for teachers as well as children. So enjoy, see how it goes & what works well for you. Then let us know what you did!!! :)

Dianne xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)