Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using Fsp Info In Yr 1

Hi all, just wondered if you could help me. How does your school use the profile information from the end of Reception year in terms of the children's scores? Are they used to make any predictions for future results? And if so, how?

Thanks in advance! X

Hi Mac20, in my school the Year 1 teacher and I confer (and becuase we are tiny and have the capacity) this year, the children who did not score above 78 have the September to Christmas working with me in Reception 'finishing the Profile'. Then if we feel they still would not typically score above 78 we start them on an IEP when they start 'properly going ino Y1. I guess in a different school it would be the Y1 teachers job to ensure these children accessed the EYFS still Often these are the late or August borns :o who do really benefit from an extra 'reception' term. The children who score above 110 - if any, as a school we would be looking for them to get Level 3s in Y2 SATS and their progress is tracked and highlighted across Y1.

But this is just what we do in our school, i'm sure other schools do things differently. I know some actually use the data to project SATS levels, but not sure how! Would be lovely to hear how others do things??

I went to a cross border moderation meeting last term and the whole room seemed to groan when the lady from the NAA highlighted that the main purpose of the Profile was to inform Y1 teachers for the children's needs in Y1...

Hope this helps.

Qx

Hi Queline

Thank you for your response! Very interesting to see what others do.

Sounds like we are similar to you, at the moment we confer with yr 1 in the summer, they continue with EYFS where needed until Christmas etc We have had some debate though recently about using the scores to predict where children would be, for example, with writing, at end of y1 and 2. So was curious to see what others do.

Thank you! :o x

I've just been looking over the APP materials and found this

APP reading, writing and mathematics cover Key Stages 1 to 3. The EYFSP is the statutory assessment for children at the end of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). The principles and practices of the two approaches are similar and consistent. Both assessments focus on practitioners/teachers reviewing a range of evidence of children's knowledge, skills and understanding in a variety of contexts in relation to nationally agreed criteria. The judgements they make enable teachers to identify the appropriate next steps in children's learning.

There are no direct equivalences between EYFSP scale points and APP guidelines but there will inevitably be overlaps as children move from the EYFS into Year 1. Teachers and practitioners should use their professional judgement to ensure that they support each child's learning and development using the EYFSP and APP.

EYFSP and assessment in Key Stage 1

The EYFSP is the assessment made at the end of the Reception year, which summarises children's achievement in the EYFS and is critical to establishing a sound foundation for learning across the curriculum as children move into Key Stage 1. It provides Year 1 teachers with information that enables them to clearly identify children's strengths and areas for development and helps them plan relevant and challenging learning opportunities and experiences.

APP is designed to assess children's achievement in reading, writing and mathematics. The most obvious points of overlap between EYFSP and APP occur in a number of the Early Learning Goals (ELG) in Communication, language and literacy and in Problem solving, reasoning and numeracy.

Teachers in Year 1 can continue to use the EYFSP as their assessment tool for children where they consider this to be appropriate. This will be particularly the case for children who have not obtained any or most of the ELG - scale points 4 to 8 - in a particular EYFSP scale. The point at which teachers begin to use APP criteria is a matter for professional judgement and the teacher's knowledge of the child. Teachers will need to consider carefully which criteria best match the child's developing strengths and needs, and support them in identifying the next steps in their learning.

Teachers will also need to use their judgement to determine whether a child has not achieved the ELG as a result of a special educational need. Children with identified special educational needs who are likely to be working below level 1 at the end of the key stage should be assessed in relation to the P scales.

Marion this is definately the info given out by my LA. Also i went to the NAA talk at the TES show last year and they made it very clear that the Eyeprofile was for the Y1 teachers to wknow where the children are and where to plan for them.

In my last school we used to pass the profile on the the learning journey was continued in Y1. Childre also had a week in the Y1 class in July to get used to routines and environment and also so the new teacher could see what the children were capable of. We then ran Y1 much more like YR.

We now do this and also we plan the first two weeks together the Y1 and YR teachers for Y1 so that someone who knows the children really well is supporting the planning.

We also had a meeting for the YR parents in July as to what would be the same and what would be different in Y1 and all of this really helped with the transition.

I also know a school where the children move into Y1 with the YR teacher and this also is really useful and helpful for the children. At the end of Y1 the teacher returns to YR.

Thank you all for input. This site is always so helpful and reassuring!

I'm guessing you would not then be using the FSP scores for any type of prediction for end of year 2 for example? x

There are already too many "schemes" out there claiming to do just that ... so don't hold your beath!

mac20 you are spot on we did not use the FSP scores to predict KS1 results but as we used the FSP to continue tracking in Y1 where necessary we knew where children were so they made good progress

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)