Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fantastic Day!

KazzE

Hi all

thought I would share my wonderful day with you

As a co-ordinator for a Children come first Childminding network I usually spend my time visiting monitoring and assessing childminding practice or sitting in the office writing up reports and developing training etc

but today I went to a farm!!

had a fantastic day with all the childminders and children and Amelia Bearheart our network travelling bear can you guess who I named her after?! :(

we had a session meeting some baby geese, chicks, rabbits - one little girl was holding the baby rabbit when suddenly a horrified look came over her face and then said 'I can't find its legs' xD

we also had a picnic and looked around a real victorian working farm complete with school house

we had our new head of EECU and some other dignitry's come along - photos were taken

should be in the local press next week

we were threatened with Meridian TV (local ITV station) coming along too but they never turned up

we (ncma and Childminding) also had some very positive press yesterday on the local evening news

the news readers refered to the new 'super childminders' the item included the Bournmouth Childminding network and my mate who is an accredited Childminder approved to deliver EYE

and I got sunburned!!

this never happend when I was a childminder because I always remembered to put cream on the kids and then myself!

ah well i had a really good day :(

sorry as usual this had turned out longer than I intended

just had to share :(

oh and the trip was because it is National Childminding week and Sure Start month

thanks for reading :o

Kazz

Hi all

thought I would share my wonderful day with you

As a co-ordinator for a Children come first Childminding network I usually spend my time visiting monitoring and assessing childminding practice or sitting in the office writing up reports and developing training etc

but today I went to a farm!!

had a fantastic day with all the childminders and children and Amelia Bearheart our network travelling bear can you guess who I named her after?! :(

we had a session meeting some baby geese, chicks, rabbits - one little girl was holding the baby rabbit when suddenly a horrified look came over her face and then said 'I can't find its legs' xD

we also had a picnic and looked around a real victorian working farm complete with school house

we had our new head of EECU and some other dignitry's come along - photos were taken

should be in the local press next week

we were threatened with Meridian TV (local ITV station) coming along too but they never turned up

we (ncma and Childminding) also had some very positive press yesterday on the local evening news

the news readers refered to the new 'super childminders' the item included the Bournmouth Childminding network and my mate who is an accredited Childminder approved to deliver EYE

and I got sunburned!!

this never happend when I was a childminder because I always remembered to put cream on the kids and then myself!

ah well i had a really good day :(

sorry as usual this had turned out longer than I intended

just had to share :(

oh and the trip was because it is National Childminding week and Sure Start month

thanks for reading :o

Kazz

Well Kazz I love my job even more now that I can just go and have a great fun time with the children without any thought of paperwork!Its what I have been trained to do and each day cannot wait to see the little darlings!I also have started to go and help in primary school for love!and its just as rewarding! :D

• 2 months later...

What a great thread! I thought I'd share about a great day we had last week. My older daughter attends a preschool co-op, with some other local families, once a week. We set it up when we couldn't find a preschool that worked for our families, with a play-based curriculum where those of us with younger children could be involved with our babies in tow. We've been going almost a year now, and it is a great success. There are six children, three boys and three girls. All the parents have different but complementary backgrounds, and we also meet once a month in addition to our weekly mornings, for a family dinner or picnic when the children play and show what they've been doing in 'preschool'.

So, last week our lesson was 'Pirate School'. First, after our 'hello song', we sang a sea shanty, then we put on pirates hats and fake earrings, and went on a treasure hunt. The family who organised it did a fabulous job - it started with a 'map', which was a photo of somewhere in the house. The children had to look at the photo and decide where it was (the washing machine in the kitchen). We all went to the washing machine, and looked inside, where there was a treasure chest with 'treasure' in it, and another 'map'. All the children chose one piece of treasure, then looked at the photo, which showed the next place to go to - the sofa in the living room. We all trooped there, a bit faster this time, to find another treasure chest (one piece of treasure for each child) and another map. By now, the children had got the idea, and they rushed off to the next place, and the next, and the next, until we ended up in the sandbox, where we dug for more treasure!

Once we had all the loot, the children tipped it out on the parent's bed (the pirate ship) and we all danced a celebration pirate dance to pirate music amidst the loot. (A real Kodac moment!)

My daughter talked about it all the way home, and took her 'loot' to bed for her nap, and again at night. (a tiny plastic dinosaur, string of sparkly beads,a ladybird ring, you get the idea...) We do a two week rotation, meaning that we go back to the same family and do the same theme again this week. (We do this as we only attend once a week and we find that the children like the repetition and gain confidence through the familiarity of activities). We can't wait to go to Pirate School again on Tuesday!

Anyway, I just thought it would be fun to share with people who will understand the joy of a great preschool morning! :o