Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creative Development - Linking Activities To Themes?

Hello and Happy New Year! I hope you all had a gorgeous Christmas.

I am struggling with developing the creative area in my reception class and the children's techniques. I have recently bought the belair early years Art book, but the ideas don't seem to follow a particular theme. I was wondering whether it would be okay to use the ideas without linking them to a particular theme? I just want to give the children and bank of skills for them go away and use independently. What do you think about this? Thanks very much!

Tash

This is the exact reason we stopped using topics. We now use continuous provision doing exactly what you describbed. Give them the skills and allow them time to use and perfect them. Go for it, it is a much better way of doing it!! :o

Tenuous links to themes are the worst thing in the world! Ditch them, introduce the teaching of techniques and then have faith in the children to develop it. You will be amazed at how creative they can be when left to their own devices. :o

There is an excellent book that gives ideas about creating a creative workshop that children freely access and create whatever they want:-

A Place to Learn: Developing a Stimulating Learning Environment (Paperback)

by Penny Cartwright (Author), Kym Scott (Author), Judith Stevens (Author)

We have just had a team training on creative development to remind them all the staff that creativity is not just about arts and crafts (in a pre-school setting).

Good luck!

it's so exciting that you all feel the same! i have that book thank you, and it's great, i just wish it gave you ideas on how to teach techniques, however it does recommend other books in the further reading sections, which i might investigate... good luck with the rest of the term, tho i'm sure i wil be in touch seeking more advice!!!

I would start with quite basic techniques and then slowly build on them. And let the children have plenty of opportunity to experiment. Some of the most wonderful artwork at playgroup was produced by accident by the children just dabbling about and using various other materials. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)