Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Meals And Parents

We are a day nursery in which we have a cook to come in and provide hot fresh dinners every day, our menus are .on a 4 weekly rota, these need changing and was thinking of asking parents what they feel they would like to see on the menus, has anyone taken on this and found it to work really well or not.

happy new year to everyone :oxD:(:(:(

Hi,

We provide hot, cooked vegetarian lunches every day and do not have a rota. We keep all our past menus and vary from day to day one week at a time. The meals tend to be favourites such as red lentil shepherds pie, cheesy potato bake, macaroni cheese, pesto pasta, vege fingers and mash, or vege sausage casserole, lots of lovely soups, pizzas and so on! We also introduce new items and take them on if they prove popular.

We canvassed parents last spring, including introducing fish on the menu, as we seem to have always provided vegetarian and not quite sure why! We incorporated some of their suggestions, although we try to steer clear of rice - our cleaners hate it more than glitter!! One of their problems was that their child's favourite dish was often not served on the days they attended. It may be worth having a questionnaire of favourites and trying to juggle it a bit to fit in with this. You will never please everyone, as you probably realise!!

We have not yet started with fish, but we are now planning to include some food from different cultures, such as chinese and indian dishes. My main aim is to try and keep the waste bowl to a minimum while introducing the children to new tastes - always a challenge!

One thing we do try to do is keep items separate on the plates as many children won't try something if it has something else they don't like on or near it. Also, we keep first portions tiny, then give larger seconds if we know they like something. This has led to less wastage and kept costs down.

Good luck,

:o

• 1 month later...

Hi Cat

I was just about to write a post the same as this. We to cook hot meals on site on a 4 week rota, and looking at changing it. I would also like to get our parents involved but think i might be opening a big can of worms as i know i'm not going to be able to please everyone.

Maybe with the help of all the wonderful people on here we may come up with something!!!

Just ask parents for suggestions which MAY be incorporated into the menu; that way you're not committing yourself to using their suggestions!

i have recently decided to start a snack and tea menu. i have written to parents with a proposed snack menu and asked for their thoughts and suggestions. i have only recieved a few back...some with little feedback and others with loads of feedback. i am trying to out together menus that will take into account most of the comments.

the paretns have said that they are glad that i have asked their opinion and started up a dialogue with them.

i think involving paretns is bril as long as you tell them that you may not be able to accomodate their request!!

good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)