Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Before And After School Club

surfer

As part of my role as a Children's centre teacher the head has asked me to look at the before and after school club at the centre. It is for children aged 3-4 years old and is based in the Nursery school part of the building. These children have been at the nursery full time and they can come in at 8am for an hour before nursery and then stay until 6pm after nursery.

We want ideas for how to make it different from the day that they have had already - bearing in mind they are in the same environment. We are well resourced and have lots of space but we want it to not be the same as they have had all day.

Any tips ideas suggestions gratefully received?!!

:o

How about a drama-element to it? You could re-enact stories, make puppets of familiar characters, create music, put together costumes, all on a particular story or theme, with a "run-through" (not a performance) when you've exhausted that story/theme. You could have the theme going over a week or more. This was the suggestion given to me when I asked parents what they would want their children to do if we decided to open in the afternoons.

It is hard to think of things that you wouldn't normally do, isn't it? Because if it's a good thing to do, you're probably doing it already :o

Hi

I am a Child care cordinater and we open the same hours as yourself.

I find table top games such as pop up pirates are a good idea and at the very end of the tea time session we watch some videos as after being in the Nursery for so long the children are tired.

I try to use resources different to that in Nursry so we have a dressing up box and different creative resources. Hope this helps a bit im always looking for new ideas, we also have a lovely lady come in to tell the children a story which the children always look forward to

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)