Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dance

Hi

Looking for advice please! I am in a Reception class and we offer between 30 and 40 minutes of outdoor play a day. This is timetabled and not free flow due to physical restrictions! Does anybody know if we have to do dance in the spring as a timetabled slot? This would be a lot of time in the day. Thinking might do every second week in the hall. Any thoughts gratefully appreciated. Are many people offering timetabled outdoor slots or are people managing free flow?

Edited by leydon

Hi,

Not really sure I can answer your question. We manage to offer free flow 80 - 90% of the time and if we cant due to staff restrictions I would do as you do and take them all out for a session instead. We do have two timetabled hall slots each week of which I generally do use at least one session of a week. This just allows me to provide access to the apparatus in the hall which they love and to develop specific skills. We use Write dance an awful lot in PE - my class love it! We also use sticky kids and boogie beebies which covers quite a lot of dance and you could do it in the class room as well as using a hall if you wanted to. Sorry cant really be of any help Ems x

leydon I don't think there is any necessity to 'do' dance in the spring. We try to fit in all sorts of activities that could be called dance throughout the year! We use Write Dance and we also do circle dancing such as Farmers in the Den, In and out the dusty bluebells etc. We also do some kind of dancing in our Christmas play. We also find there are times in the year when the children get hooked on a tune or song and dancing just seems to come naturally so we never have to have a timetabled session at the end of the year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)