Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Made Up Words

i have a three year old in my preschool who uses made up words, usually gobbledegook- for example "can you tell me about ur picture?" "its a schnigglebock" obvioulsy i try to extend this by askng what a schnigglebock is, ts just one example though, he does it in other situations too.

is this something i should encourage- his imagination is very good, or should i encourage him to use real words? non iseof my other children do this!

Well as a person who tends to make up words when I can't find the ones I need to use, I'd say 'enjoy' his creative use of our language. I'm also reading Dawn French book Dear Fatty (well done Son for a great prezzie :o ), I've only just started it but already feel akin to her as she too uses words that I am sure are made up, such as 'fatherdleyness' talking about her dad. xD

Is he able to communicate his needs? Does he get frustrated if he's misunderstood or not understood? If yes and no to these questions, I wouldn't worry. As when children mispronounce words, I'd repeat a sentence using the correct pronounciation, replace 'I would like' when a child says 'me would like' , for example, but for totally new, made up words, I think it's a nice way that he is showing his 'enjoyment' of playing with language, which in itself helps him to understand the way language is used.

Peggy

my husband uses a made up word from his childhood as an answer to unanswerable questions from the children-kangeraffernarnapig-I even use it myself now! :o

My cousin always used parkcar (carpark) and busuferbunduker (bus conductor) among others.They always had a 'root' witha train of thought.I think its a creative thinker who will go far!

Edited by Guest

I wouldn't encourage or discourage. My little one used to make up words but once she could say the correct word she did so. I remember she called herself zee zee from about 18 months and her sister joo joo and believe me they are nothing like their real names. I think she just couldn't say the correct names so made them up. She is now 15 and very bright and imaginitive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)