Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Room Layout

My school has decided to invest money in re-structuring my classroom.

At the minute we have two rooms, and we are also been given a room next door which I am thinking will be toilets/cloackroom.

They will be knocking walls down, so that we will be able to see children all the time and also changing a window into a door so we can have free flow outdoors.

The plan is to make a covered area outdoors, and I was wondering what sort of flooring others have outside.

I know this is a bit of an open question, but does anyone have any areas that work really well, don't work, wish you had/don't want.

I can have pretty much what I want. if it's possible. Other members of staff are giving me their ideas, and I'm hoping to visit a couple of local schools, but I would really value any suggestions that works for others on here.

It's very exciting times, but all quite scarey. :o

many thanks,

jackie.

We recently altered our area outdoors and got rid of the grass that always looked tired and worn and had holes in it etc and moved to tarmac.

Its been fine.

Easier to manage for sure.

Under our covered area is the original slabbing / concrete which has laso worked out fine.

:o

We have tarmac all over our area and it is a nightmare in the summer with a million grazed knees. :o We are looking at investing in some 'bouncy tarmac' for climbing equipment, trampolines, rockers etc as it can be quite dangerous otherwise. I would prefer a large grassed area as well but our playground area is unsuitable to convert and some of it is used as a through way into the school before and after session. xD

We have a large area of all weather surface (partly made from recycled trainers apparently!) we went for black with coloured speckles but the black gets on to everything! It's got a critical fall height of about a metre and is very bouncy. It costs a lot of money though. It's ideal as a surface - lovely to sit/ lie on in warm weather (apart from the black!) - easy to clean - water and brush does most and sand has been hoovered off (old machine!) korkycat

Guest jane heald

Hi

We have an outside canopy great looking structure bu too high the wind sails through it along with the rain! You actually end up as wet as if you didn't have one. I have recently seen a lovely wooden structure that has drop down sides so will keep wind and rain out or sun - looks fab but have no price. We have an area covered in play bark as have no grass which contains wood pile and garden area great if you don't have a cat problem.

Jay

We had a special surface put down outside which is a safety surface and had a road etc painted on it BUT as it is supposed to be a porous surface we are not supposed to get paint, sand or anything else that will stick in the holes on it. Due to the nature of primary children it is covered in sand, mud and various other bits and we have to try and sweep regularly as all the sand etc makes it slippery and dangerous. So make sure you research whatever surface you decide on.

we have the soft pour stuff which is great when children fall etc but beaware it get very slippy in icy weather. i have seen some grass like carpet stuff down which didnt seem to get slippy. Our reception have tarmac and there are some nasty accidents.

• 2 weeks later...

Outside we have slabs which we often use for chalking and water painting which has been really useful. We have soft tarmac around the see-saw and tunnel but it gets very slippery when frosty or has been raining so wouldn't choose to have that again.

We also have a wall mounted awning which has been great in the summer.

Thank you for your replies and ideas, I will be approaching the man who pays in the near future with lots of different suggestions, :o

jackie.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)