Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 Or 3 Form Intake Planning And The Eyfs

The school I work at (3 form intake) has a big emphasis on the idea that all the 3 classes from the yr group do the same thing. My take on the EYFS is that in early years this doesn't work as well because we should following our interests.

so i just wondered if any other reception teachers in big schools, plan with the other class teachers, and if the EYFS has had any impact on this,

thanks in advance.

We used to plan together and both classes do the same but since the EYFS we now plan for the children's interests and therefore separatly. We share the outdoor environment and plan for this jointly based upon any needs and interests and also weather etc. It has been brilliant I found planning together very long winded and sometimes just not relevent.

S

Hi - we are now sadly a one form entry Reception, but I miss sharing ideas and planning with a partner teacher. We were lucky enough to have three rooms between us and an outdoor area and decided if we were going to provide everything for our two classes it would be better to pool resources and have different bases in different rooms - so between us and the three rooms we had everything covered. The children came to their base rooms at the start of the day for self registration etc and then moved around accordingly - now I dont know how well you are staffed and even if all your Reception rooms are near enough to each other for this to work but I really enjoyed working like this and you are then not all killing yourselves trying to provide everything in each of your rooms individually. I really loved working like this and got to know and work with all the children in the cohort. sorry to go on - you might already have thought of this but hope that helped! xx :o

We've come to the same conclusion as ems and are just at the end of our first term of working like that and it has been great. It's actually almost identical in that they come inthrough their classroom base door and self register then can go to either base dependent on their interest. Each adult is allocated an area or activity for each part of the day and we all work with everyone. It has so many advantages. One being if you have a particularly challenging child, it is so easy to support each other and not feel worn down at all. I've got a super class this year but my colleague has more challenges and she is so relieved we can share the discipline!!! I don't mind either because I don't feel guilty for have such lovely children because we're together so much. Anyway, sorry to have rambled on but it is great.

This is interesting. I tried to work like this when I was leading a large team but unfortunately the other teachers could not let go of their class room areas and we had to abandon it. The children were also reluctant to move from their home bases but our layout may have had something to do with that as although linear, the classrooms did not interlink and there was some concern about the way children moved from one area to another.

As teachers we also found it difficult to pace our teaching focus times but I think had everything else been right, we would have mastered that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)