Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fairy Stories

It's a great theme for early years, isn't it?

We've covered the Three lIttle Pigs very successfully in the past, and it lends itself to all sorts of interesting activities:

* 3D work with recycled materials to build houses

* tests to see how strong straw really is!

* building outside with sticks, to make dens, etc

*making stick puppets and acting out the story

* doing lots of work with the concept of "3"

I'm sure that others will come up with some great suggestions. In the meantime, have you done a search for traditional stories? :o

• 1 month later...

Mine chose 'billy Goats Gruff' last year. We acted it out with puppets and then ourselves - great discussions about what we could use for the bridge and alternative endings to the story. I had goats and a troll in the tuff spot with lovely grassy turf on one side and compost on the other - again lots of discussion around what we could use for the bridge and the stream. I also loved doing Goldilocks and the children loved having real porridge oats to play with in the home corner.

i made "thinking cards" based on fairy tales. every morning at circle time I would hold up a card with a "think" on it. (words and pictures to prompt)

then we would have a"think" and say what we thought! some of them were:

What would i have built my house with if I was a little pig?

What would I have done if I found the three bears house?

What present would I give a baby princess?

What would I do if I got lost in a wood?

Would I eat an apple if a stranger gave me one?

If I could have a wish what would I wish for?

What would I say to a wolf?

How would I help clean the seven dwarves house?

how would I hide from a giant?

(possible to go on forever! and in fact was so succesful i have a "think" every morning now about anything)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)