Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy In A Mixed Reception Year 1

Guest sarahjw

Guest sarahjw

Hello everyone

I am in a mixed reception year 1 class and am struggling with managing literacy. I have used the Hamilton plans, but don't feel they are quite hitting the mark. There's a lot I feel I should be doing with reception in particular, that isn't covered, and feel they do a lot of unneceary stuff. I have also looked at the Scholastic new framewok 100 literacy hours, but don't like this at all.

Ideally I'd like to plan what I think reception should be doing and differentiate up for Year 1, but this means I won't be covering the Framework objetives.

Any clever people out there got it worked out?

Thanks

Sarah

:o

I have done this in the past - plan for Reception and adapt for Year 1 (and any YR who need extending, usually later in the year), as I have always had mostly Reception and a few 'needy' Year 1s. I have always picked the objectives from the new framework that fit what YR are doing (may be slightly different obviously, but related as much as possible). I just try to make sure the strands are covered over the year. Haven't used the Y1 units for new framework at all - find it much easier to do my own thing - and the teaching sequence of talking/role-play/reading before writing is kind of how YR would work anyway - must add here that I haven't looked at units in any detail so could be wrong!!!

Guest tinkerbell

I have been doing r/yr1 for many a year.

I start them all off with the imput and then set them off on related work tending to have higher expectations for yr1 in terms of work produced and length of time they would stay at the task building up as the year goes by.

eg we will share a sentence.

yr1 sitting with me discuss it read it perhaps copy it and then write 1 or 2 more as geared to child.Once on task I will leave them to get on whilst I work with Reception

R may do some work related or not at all.

Guest sarahjw

Thanks for your responses. I think it's the new Literacy framework that has blown my mind! I'm going to follow your suggestions and plan for R and differentiate up for Y1 relating it to Y1 framework objectives as approriate.

Thank you!

Sarah

• 4 weeks later...
Guest eck1975
Thanks for your responses. I think it's the new Literacy framework that has blown my mind! I'm going to follow your suggestions and plan for R and differentiate up for Y1 relating it to Y1 framework objectives as approriate.

Thank you!

Sarah

I have mixed YR/Y1 ... and I am still trying to work it out. From these replies, I seem to do things the other way - I plan from the new framework, using the Y1 objectives & teaching sequences, as I have some very able Y1s. I have 17 Recep, 9 Y1s (the youngest, not least able) (and a Y3 with severe SEN).

The whole class have the input, story, poem whatever, occasionally the Y1s stay on carpet longer for a bit more input. The Y1s always have a literacy task, either with me, the TA or independent. Reception go off an choose, a small group may have an adult led activity with me or TA, which could be linked to the literacy/story, could be phonics, or could be something completely diff like creative. I have the same routine for Maths, and 'topic', 'RE' or whatever we're doing in the afternoon.

EYFS puts equal emphasis on all 6 areas of learning, so Recep don't tend to have the 'literacy hour' and 'numeracy hour' that Y1s have.

I have no idea if I'm doing this right ... but I really hope so, as Ofsted are coming next week!

Em x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)