Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Adult Focused Observations

Guest colechin

Guest colechin

I have been told by my area adviser that I need to do 3 Adult focused observations per week. Which I understand.

I have taken my observations from the previous week and Keyworker and parents notes/comments, and identified 3 children that would benefit from further help.

First child - parent informs us that he does not like to write or colour in at home. We have also noticed that when we encourage him to write his name he always asks the staff to do it for him. We have tried by doing his name in dots and he to write over them, but he will reluctantly write over first letter and then stops.

How do I put this in to a Adult focused observation?

Second child - does not like to play with other children and is happy to sit at the mark making table for lond periods of time. Also her expressions she makes to others are not very encouraging if others would like to join her. Her parent as also commented on her lack of confidence in approaching new children and will scowl at them instead of smiling. I was thinking that I could do facial expression in a mirror. Talk about happy and sad and what makes us happy and sad? Again how do I put this down.

Thirdly - I have a 2 1/2 year old who is constantly hitting, snatching, biting and so. He will not listen to staff and shrugs away from you when you come down to his height to talk to him. I don't think there is any boundaries at home. I am reading books to him and a small group of other children about Hands are not for hitting, Teeth are not for biting etc. When this child is at Nursery you know! and he is only one of 8 children at present from January we will have 13 children and only 3 of these children are girls. Big magority of boys.

If anyone could give me guidance that would be great. I have attached an attempt of my planning below. Please could you look at it and comment. Negative comments welcomed! I find it very hard to think of ideas to do and how to record them down.

I will stop babbling on now. focus_obs_sheet.doc

Guest colechin

I have manged to attach 2 forms. You will see the first one is filled out and is the one I have be working on.

Sorry for the messy post.

That's not a problem - I will move it into the nursery section for you. :o

Regarding the first child I would just make sure there are plenty of mark making opportunities around the setting and that he is developing his fine motor skills through age appropriate activities. There is no real reason why a preschool child should be writing their name or colouring in. What age is he and the second child you are talking about?

The third child is only young and just needs constant praise for good behaviour and consistent boundaries/reminders whilst at the nursery. xD

For the first child, I would plan for lots of large arm movements in fun activities; finger writing in shaving foam (which you have planned already), large brushes + water for painting walls and fences outside, and anything you have in your setting to get him to develop his upper arm strength, such as throwing bean bags at targets. I'd also include some dexterity-type activities; ripping paper and sticking it down, pegs and pegboards, cutting, etc. I'd forget all about writing his name until he feels happy making lots of different marks on paper.

Nice idea for your second child xD This would lend itself to a lovely circle time activity with a small group of children, getting them to make certain faces, and talking about how to make friends, smiling, sharing toys, etc. Is there a suitable story book at your setting that you could round it all off with?

I agree with Beau on your third child. Lots of praise for positive behaviour; be clear to him what it is you are praising him for. A great activity I've used in the past is to give each child a feather, and ask them to stroke their faces with it, their arms, then (if you dare!) other children's arms! Teaches them what "gentle" feels like :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)