Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Formats

Sorry to mention this again but I feel I still haven't got this right. My head looked at my planning and just suggested that there should be an assessment box on there. I pointed out the look listen note box but this went over his head!!!!! so I would be very grateful if I could please see some plans for reception or nursery/reception. Thanks very much. I seem to spend so much time on planning and I just want to be able to start in January with plans that i am happy with. Please help to put my little mind at rest.

Thanks eggwoman, but I am afraid I am still struggling do you put development matters in what do you want the children to learn? then I also get confused with trying to include children's interests as well as assessments to inform my future planning. Hope this make sense but I looked at psrn and you could just literally plan activities for each objective, assess, it is getting the balance right.Thanks for your help

Ger, I dont know without looking at what you are doing but it sounds to me as if you are making things too complicated. Your plans should be a flexible working document for you.

If your head wants to see assessment and you think this is look, listen and note which of course it is, why cant you just change the heading or include it within your existing doc? I would also use that bit to note the children's interests and indicate where you are going to next.

You will also find some things easier to manage and monitor coverage if you plan for them more routinely.

it does sound like you are trying to put a lot in. I only 'plan' what is adult directed. The other activities going on are already in the continuous provision. Observation is the assessment tool as you are continually watching the children and making notes mentally or written. We use to do too much planning and at the moment this is working for us but we are all different have different amount of adults/classroom set up/outside area linked to the classroom. Sorry can't be of much help.

Hi, just wanted to say I too will be following this thread with interest - i think i am doing way to much planning and need to think more about refering to my cont. provision plans rather than writing it all out again! At the moment i use daily plans showing what I am offering in each area of development each day - some things stay the same for the week and some things - daily adult initiated activities change throughout the week. However there is far more going on than I think I give credit for and I am finding much of planning going to the wall as the children take it in a different direction!

I do a weekly overview style plan for indoors & outdoors for the child initiated activities with intended los/elgs to guide mine and the TAs observations. I do a more detailed daily plan for the adult led activities with lo, activity, differentiation, timings, group size, location. On the back of my plans I make quick notes of next steps, what went well/didn't, childrens reactions & interests raised. I use these messy notes to inform my planning and write up observations. It takes hours and I hope I will just need to tweak them next year.

Eggwoman,

Just looked at your attachment (probably shouldn't have as I know it will make me mess around with my planning formats AGAIN!!) and I really like it - especially the top headings (what do we want the chn to learn? and how will we do that?), because after all, it is what we want them to learn that should come first, not what I know I have been guilty of - the 'ooh that's a lovely activity, I wonder which objectives I could fit it with!!'

Anyway, thanks for sharing it - will definitely be thnking of adapting it to my setting. Was thinking of adding a basic weekly outline with it, so I would know when I was doing which adult led activity - do you do anything similar, or do you just remember what you were going to do when?

Thanks,

purplemagic x

Thanks all, it just helps to put my mind at ease. It just sometimes it is all in my head but it is getting on to paper and then getting it on to paper for others to understand.

I to suffer with thinking of what to plan on a weekly basis as we have to plan two small group activities per a day based on observations we also have to do environmental planning as to what toys to have out at the beginnig of each day as well as creative planning so i think i will be putting forward for a change of the way the nursery that i am in plans for each room as i feel it is a lot of paperwork and not enough time for the children.

I to will be following this post. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, these are exactly the same problems I am having and it is nice to know I am not alone - don't we all put soooo much pressure on ourselves to get it perfect!!! I am happy with my long term - continuous planning and I'll put an example on here (it is for Nursery age so have used the development matters from 30-50 mths and some from 40-60 to account for the different abilities but it can be donme exactly the same way for Reception age children (you just need to change te developent matters statements appropriate fo reach area. I have done one for each area of provision -it took me ages to do it at the beginning because it is in so much detail - but now it is done and all I have to add is the 'themed' enhancements every time they change. Feel free to have a look, and use if you think it'll help (why re-write the wheel!!!!) My problem is the planning of the adult led actvities that should account for observations of children's interests and needs. I have decided to change the way we do it in the Nursery (not sure if it is right and It's a good job the staff in the nursery are used to change by now!!) I think, we're going to do it with two family groups together at a time so that both key people can lead but can take it in turns to be responsible for making observations of children's responses and ideas, also then these will help to work alongside annotated observations of children's interests during CIP in the day to plan for following day's adult led activity together) Not sure if this is going to work in reality but s'pose we have to try these things to see what works and what doesn;t.

Anyhow, am open to suggestions and ideas.

Here comes the attachment.

Thanks

Tracy

Blowers_Green_Continuous_and_Enhanced_Planning___Sand_play__Area___NURSERY.doc

hi there,

i am currently re-writing my continuous provision / long term plans as they are generic ones i found on here a long time ago and the resources do not relate to those we have in our setting. really like your planning, really thorough and relates to EYFS really well and outdoor play...

is there any chance you could post copies of the planning for other areas or am i being really cheeky!!!

would be greatly appreciated

kind regards :o

I am struggling with planning formats too! We recently had Ofsted not too good for foundation :o I work in a single form entry primary school and did not get much support pre inspection. Do any of you kind people out there in schools which have had a good inspection think you could possibly share your planning formats because I'm just going round in circles. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)