Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwriting

Does anybody have a handwriting policy for reception i could have a look at. Do you teach children to write letter shapes with a flick?

handwriting fonts are usually soemthing that is decided by the Literacy coordinator and the EY teacher- i think. Have a look at what is being used further up in school. When i worked in reception, there was no policy in school but just an understadning of how the script would later move into 'joint up' writing in yr 2 or whenever it is they do that.

Personally I would recommend that you do teach letter formation with flicks, children don't find this is, in my experience, any more difficult to produce and actually quite enjoy the "flick"!

I also think, like Leo, that you need to have regard to the handwriting style that is being taught higher up the school so that in future years children can build on what they have already learnt. The ball and stick method (ie without flicks) can be difficult to unlearn and make the transition to joined/ cursive writing more difficult.

The commonly taught handwriting styles are all much the same really but I do like the "Cripps, Hand for Spelling" as this fits very well with literacy and phonics as the phonemes represented by 2 letters are taught as a joined unit, encouraging that visualisation. The early books are excellent for developing pencil skills and I would think that your handwriting policy need state very little more than the ELG and that handwriting will be taught to such a style.

I am also surprised that you need to have such a policy, in my school FS was included within the main school policies with statements acknowledging it as appropriate.

Guest Sycamore

I 'flick' in reception and I do fancy k's and f's !!

I use the old Words and Pictures 'magic pencil' video and software available from BBC. It is available without all the other words and pictures stuff, just the handwriting part. Good for interactive whiteboards.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)