Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds Activities

Hi

Just split my class into two groups for letters and sounds. I have the top group and was wondering if anyone had any nice activities we could use. The other group will have access to the IWB most of the time and this suits their style of learning! The children know all initial phonemes and are working on segmenting and blending!

PS expecting ofsted soon

Any help would be much appreciated or if someone could point me in the right direction!

Edited by leydon

My class like 'cross the river'. I give them either a picture or the word. If they have the word they can cross the river if they can read what it says - ie. who has the word map, children are then blending to read the word - m-a-p = map. If they have a picture I segment the word, ie. who has got a j-u-g, they orally blend to match to their picture. When they've done this a few times I usually find there's someone who wants to be the 'teacher' and then they can practise their segmenting skills.

Treasure hunt is a good one for an independent activity - word cards in the sand or wherever - although mine aren't too good at distinguishing between real and not real words!

I have just introduced a puppet to my groups - telling them he wants to learn how to read a word, can they help him and tell him what to do?

I was really pleased by how much they all came out with! 'You need to look at the initial/first letter and sound it out, then the next and the next until you say the word'! They love puppets. It also helped me pinpoint specific issue for certain children.

Good luck!

I add a bit of singing to my group.

Walk around and find a sound/word, find a sound/word, find a sound/word, walk around and find a sound, what sound is it? (Sung to London Bridge)

Lay out large grapheme cards and children have to walk around on them until the song stops. They then read the sound. Could easily substitue for a cvc word.

Same tune but put some words/graphemes in a bag or box.

Bag of sounds/words pass it round pass it round pass it round bag of sounds/words pass it round what sound/word is it?

If they are pretty good at blending and segmenting I use the full circle games but they draw a 3 box phoneme frame on their whiteboards and they have to write the words. Interesting to see who can just change the one letter and the ones that have to rub it all out and write the full word.

I make lots of cvc word cards, may be focussing on the /a/ vowel in the middle and children choose 4 cards. They draw a cross on their whiteboards and write a word in each square. They then give me the words which I mix up and we then play bingo.

Rubbish and treasure game but I use real 2p coins and hide them in the sand tray. I write words on small stickers and stick them to the coins.

I have always used a puppet. My puppet is so poor at reading and writing. Sometimes he needs help. I do quite a few oral blending activities using the puppet. I have a little suitcase and write little stories about him going on holiday and he needs certain items. Children have to find the item and put it in the case.

Greenteaaddict you are a star. I will be certainly using these ideas. Are they your own? I have a lot to be going on with now and you have saved me a lot of searching.

Hope I can help you some time but you appear to be top class!!! :oxD

No I can't take credit for all these ideas. Some ideas were mine and some adapted from other people's ideas. I have used these very successfully though. I remember a very kind lady on the TES forum who posted lots of ideas for phonics games. I will see if I can find it because there are loads of other games she suggested which I can't remember now. I like the type of game which you can adapt and use at any phonics level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)