Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Music Observation Help!

:o hi, can nayone help me. i have moved into our nursery from year 1. i am being observed by my head teacher on wednesday. can anyone give me a good idea for a music lesson?? or some good ideas that i can use.

really appreciate it. thanks ali x

A good starter/warm up or ending activity.

Have a percussion instrument - drum, xylophone, or one that the children are not familiar with - have the children in a circle, pass a beater around the circle. Sing (to the tune of London bridge)

Pass the beater, pass it on, pass it on, pass it on

Pass the beater, pass it on, now it's your turn.

The child with the beater in it's hand, then has a turn playing the instrument.

Other circle activities - pass a clapped rhythm round the circle, sing children's names.

Good luck!

A good starter/warm up or ending activity.

Have a percussion instrument - drum, xylophone, or one that the children are not familiar with - have the children in a circle, pass a beater around the circle. Sing (to the tune of London bridge)

Pass the beater, pass it on, pass it on, pass it on

Pass the beater, pass it on, now it's your turn.

The child with the beater in it's hand, then has a turn playing the instrument.

Other circle activities - pass a clapped rhythm round the circle, sing children's names.

Good luck!

I do one that my children love, put different musical instruments in a ontainer and have the children sit in a circle. Pass the musical box round while singing the musical box goes round and round, round and round and round

the musical box goes round and round, wherever it stops it makes a sound. the child it stops beside picks an instumnet you talk about it and then they choose a song they want the class to sing whilst they play that instrument,

it is then repeated.

my group love this

Killlowengirl

I do one that my children love, put different musical instruments in a ontainer and have the children sit in a circle. Pass the musical box round while singing the musical box goes round and round, round and round and round

the musical box goes round and round, wherever it stops it makes a sound. the child it stops beside picks an instumnet you talk about it and then they choose a song they want the class to sing whilst they play that instrument,

it is then repeated.

my group love this

Killlowengirl

sorry forgot to say the tune is the mulberry bush

Introduce a selection of musical instruments to the children. Ask the children to listen to the sounds they make. Then put the musical instruments into a tent (or behind a screen, just so the other children cannot see them) and choose one child to go into the tent and choose an instrument to play. The children not in the tent have to listen carefully and try and work out which musical instrument is being played by the child in the tent. I did this activity at my old school and it worked really well. Good luck with the observation, mrsW

My children loved using ordinary building blocks as percussion instruments. We would sit in a circle, 2 blocks per child and they would follow my lead, tapping' out a rythmn. I would tap the blocks on the hard floor (both hands) bring hands together and tap, go fast and slow, single beats, double beats. Sometimes rub the blocks together in a circular motion instead of tapping. When all 'playing' together, in unison, it did sound great and kept the children enthused. At the end we collected the blocks into towers. :o

This was preschool age (2-4 ys) but I am sure would be enjoyed by older children. Maybe older children could take turns in 'leading' the beat, creating a sequence for others to follow.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)