Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wrapping Himself Up!

I've got a great little boy in my class who is fantastic at junk modelling - he makes all kinds of things and is really creative with the resources. He especially loves using the junk modelling materials to make costumes and equipment for himself which he attaches to his body, with any other available person's help!, by winding masking tape around his tummy. For example, he became a diver and made some underwater diving equipment by taping a huge egg box wrapped in bubble wrap to himself - round and round his middle again - the dinner ladies had to loosen it as he couldn't fit his dinner in! Today he was a policeman with plastic bottles and boxes attached to his tummy, back, arms and legs as padding to protect him if he fell off his police bike - oh and a round lid as his police badge taped to his chest. I wish I had pictures to show you - he looks amazing and all the teachers in the school look out for him - the year 6 teacher is a bit bemused by him!

Anyway, apart from just sharing a lovely child with you, I wondered if you had any ideas of ways to extend his learning. Is this schematic behaviour, do you think, or is he just a great engineer / cfreative thinker? I thought about getting him a book about mummies, as they are wrapped up, but I wasn't sure if this is going down the wrong path. I've never taught such a natural junk modeller amd wonder what his next steps should be - what should I plan / provide for him now?

I wonder if wrapping up is his thing, it seems more to me like the wrapping up is a means to an end, ie: fixing items on body to represent his creation. So to me, he is more the designer/engineer (policman, diver) than mummie :o

Great description though, sounds like a bundle of fun. xD

Peggy

I wonder if wrapping up is his thing, it seems more to me like the wrapping up is a means to an end, ie: fixing items on body to represent his creation. So to me, he is more the designer/engineer (policman, diver) than mummie :o

Great description though, sounds like a bundle of fun. xD

Peggy

So/ bearing in mind that he's basically doing naturally what I hope my children will be doing at end of reception, how can I move this further for him? Do I need to get into him planning before creating? Or just more of the same? Or...... what?

We have a reception class full all doing of the same thing!!! One little soul taped a toilet roll tube to his eye with masking tape wrapped it right around his head-telescope!.He looked like a Borg!!! Though getting it off his hair was difficult (I'm afraid I laughed :o )

We have changed the idea of having role play being nativity/stable into Santa's workshop with lots of opportunities for wrapping, inventing and using connectors

So/ bearing in mind that he's basically doing naturally what I hope my children will be doing at end of reception, how can I move this further for him? Do I need to get into him planning before creating? Or just more of the same? Or...... what?

Good question, Biccy's idea sounds good. My initial thoughts, same as yours, to introduce planning his projects, but then I paused, if he's anything like me, planning quashes my creative thoughts, I tend to see where the creative juices take me so to speak, creating as I go along, adapting, re-inventing etc.

Maybe provide a wider variety of more complex materials, less items to use for binding to promote problem solving skills, or more items for binding to increase the scope of what he creates. Maybe introduce skills such as 'weaving' (strips of paper or material for 'costume making'.

Maybe do some language observations if he 'talks out loud his thoughts whilst he creates, may give an indication of his 'thinking process'. If he doesn't talk much, maybe encourage him to describe his thoughts as he 'creates'.

Sorry, no real answers there, just some thoughts.

Peggy

You have told us that creatively he is obviously streets ahead but for me the interest would be his weak areas. Identify where he is struggling and then tap into this wonderful creativeness that he has to extend him in other areas as well.

If it's schematic it might come out in his graphic work, too. I would agree with Sienna - enclosure or possibly envelopment, although it can be hard to sort those two out!

I might be otally on the wrong track here but the first thought that occured to me was swaddling !!

Does he like/ seek a lot of comfort? Just a thought

Hi, you could try encouraging him to plan his designs. Getting him to think about the resourses he might need beforehand and write or sketch his ideas. Anything from a clipboard to his own little notepad and pen. We had a similar little boy, he used to get staff to take his photo with his masterpiece, we then used to print it off together in a little wallet print and he used to stick it next to his 'notes' that he had made. Hope it helps! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)