Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Predicting Ks1 Sats

Hello

My head was asking me today if the EYFSP can be used to predict KS1 SATS? To my knowledge we shouldn't use the FSP data for this. He says someone told him that you can. Can anyone clarify this and if the answer is that you can, how do you go about doing this?

Vicki

No, you are not supposed to to but it seems to be all the vogue just the same especially as OFSTED continue to demand the data.

My head seems to have accepted that an average child ie one scoring 6 will probably be a 2b and targets have set higher and lower than this.

I don't like the idea but we use target tracker and this is used to predict KS 1 sats and i think gives the added value scores as the data is sent to our LEA.

It does put pressure on us for scores and bascially if you are givig 9's then the child is going to come out at level 5/6 in year 6!!

Hello,

FSP results are not supposed to be used to predict KS1 results!

However despite EYFS and other recommendations it seems that that is definatley what is happening - our authority are certainly using FSP to predict KS1 and we are been monitored accordingly.

Been asked this question myself today, and then was given the answer - Point 8 = Level 3 at end of KS1 grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Why don't we just forget all the effort and observations we do to complete EYFS profile and go off gut feelings for which children will get level 3 at Y2 SATS and just make up profile scores. I'm sure I could do this just as accurately, if not more accurately as I know some children have justifiably got a score of 8, but I haven't thought they'd score a level 3 in what is a very different curriculum/set of objectives/test!!!

Still, we all knew this is what the profile scores would be used for, even if we were told something very different.

The document I've seen puts point 8 as a 3a. I was led to believe that teachers don't have to predict but that EYFSP scores reported at the end of the reception year will be converted. I was also told that there will be an expectation of children progressing 1 APS per term....

I give in!!!!

Why don't we just put in a chip at birth and plug them into a computer once in a while!

I really do dispair. Children are individual and should be treated as such. No wonder we have the most unhappy teenagers in europe you don't the Italian, Norwegians, Dutch, French, etc doing this to their youngest children!!!!

DCSF - Department of Completley Stupid Fools!!!

The document I've seen puts point 8 as a 3a. I was led to believe that teachers don't have to predict but that EYFSP scores reported at the end of the reception year will be converted. I was also told that there will be an expectation of children progressing 1 APS per term....

Sorry having a really mind numbing thick moment- was is 1 APS per term?

So, if the 'average' child is entering reception class with a score of 3 (which is what OFSTED told me was the 'average/normal' , and they are expected to make an APS of 1 per term ... then a child who spent 3 terms in reception would be achieving 6 points at the end of EYFS - which would give them a score at the lower end of the 'good/average' achievement. Sorry I've not phrased that very well. But my understanding of it is .... point 6-8 overall, achieving a sound level. If children are coming in with 3, which my cohort certainly don't in areas like reading and writing, why am I being made to feel like a failure if I don't have lots achieving 8, never mind 9!!

Its all a game. I dont like the game, the rules arent fair but I dont have any choice. I have to join in this Government initiated activity.

At least thats how it seems.

That's exactly how it was put to me Susan

"We need to play the game." but I don't want to if that means being untrue to the children in my care.

I'm glad its not just me - we always get a speaking to when i've filled in the on entry profile we do and then the end of year just to make sure marks are not too high!! and that these children we think will do well and get level 3 at year 2 etc. A note at the end of last year wend around our county saying are schools sure they were putting the correct numbers in as they were so low and you've got to suspect its because they either want really good added value scores or that they are not sure of the key stage 1 results they may get. Luckily so far the children we have given 7-9 have gone on to get level 3's or 2a's and the ones we have given low marks are children that are sen and getting support now. Hopefully that is also down to our good judgement but we had to argue to give the points 8/9. As long as we have the observations etc and info to prove then it should be enough. Anything can happen between reception and year 2 and well anything can change from reception to year 6. Children are individuals some may make lots of progress in their first year of school but then slow down and then may pick up again, others will continually make progress, some may start slow but pick up speed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)