Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition From Pre-schools To Reception

Hi

Hoping one of you clever people can help. We have a new head and I'm being asked to produce a whole pile of evidence and policies by the end of next week. Quite frankly I feel like I'm drowning! Anyway rant over, does anyone have a sample policy or any poniters for writing a policy on transition from pre-schools to reception from a reception teacher's point of view. I've had a good search around the forum posts but have only found examples of transition policies from reception to Year 1. Does this mean it isn't a normal policy to have?

Hope you can help

Fluffychuffnuts :o

Thanks for that Shiny. I think if you can make someone smile in a day, then the day's been worth while. So you've just cheered me right up. My husband says if the name makes you laugh then you should see my face! Charming! On that note, think I'll go and hit the vin rouge, after all its Friday night!

Speaking from a preschool point of view if you can include in the policy that the reception teacher should visit the preschool, that might be useful. I have spoken to so many reception teachers over the last few years who really want to visit the children at the preschool but the heads do not value this aspect. If you could include it in your policy and the head agrees it he/she should then make time for the teacher to be able to make the visits. I appreciate it is difficult to make time but those teachers who have been able to have always fed back how valuable it was to see the child in a setting where they were already settled.

Speaking from a preschool point of view if you can include in the policy that the reception teacher should visit the preschool, that might be useful. I have spoken to so many reception teachers over the last few years who really want to visit the children at the preschool but the heads do not value this aspect. If you could include it in your policy and the head agrees it he/she should then make time for the teacher to be able to make the visits. I appreciate it is difficult to make time but those teachers who have been able to have always fed back how valuable it was to see the child in a setting where they were already settled.

I couldn't agree more Holly. We sometimes need to battle so hard to ensure that the "management" value the importance of early years and the hard work and effort that we all put in to ensure that the youngest children receive the support that they need.

This is our transition policy at pre-school-very similar to jojom's (which isn't surprising as we are both in Stockport!)

Hope this is helpful. If anybody feels there is anything else we could add please let me know. We developed this quite recently and we may have missed something.

Linda

Transition_policy.doc

Guest MaryEMac

We have a Transition Policy. This came about after the reception teacher and myself went to a course about Transition. We got together with one of my staff and the headteacher, over a plate of jam doughnuts, and drafted out the policy

On the front page we have a circle of clasped hands with the name of both groups inside it. Also there is a list of useful names and addresses and our mission statement.

The document is on A3 paper folded in half and in the middle we have a road which begins at playgroup and finishes in school. On the journey we have added photo's, and wording of what the children will do on this journey. These include visits to school, visits from head and reception staff etc, etc.

It is very user friendly and parents have commented favourably on it. Hope this helps.

I love your user name by the way.

Mary

Thanks so much for all of your help. Love the idea of sitting down with a plate of donuts, can't think of a better way to get us started wrtiting policies, wiil definately use this idea. Also love the idea of the road with signs, sounds like a really visual way to explain the process to parents. I'm going to meet with our main feeder pre-school's leader and we are going to write the policy together. I do visit as many pre-school settings as I can but it's very tricky now as we get information about our new children so late in the school year. Its fab going to visit children in thier settings and I'm hoping to go and teach in our main feeder pre-school in the summer term once a week. Thanks also to jojom for attaching your policy it has really helped me focus.