Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scaring / Scary Games?

At the moment we're looking at night time and the dark. We've got a dark den with lots of lights and torches just next to the role play area which is a bedroom with night-time props. Anyway, the children are really REALLY into playing scaring games, where they're dressing up with things over their heads and making the children in the dark den (who can't see them!) jump. Hilarious for everyone, and also a healthy amd important way of exploring the idea of being scared, I know, but it's really loud!! - lots of screaming and on the verge of getting too silly, particularly for inside.

I'd really like to find a way of planning for and extending this play, perhaps outside, next week, enhancing the continuous provision for them to access independently - perhaps with support initially.

I'm having real trouble thinking of anything appropriate, being sensitive to the fact that some children are more easily scared than others and that some children aren't wanting to explore this concept.

So far, the only thing I've come up with is hide and seek, which seems a bit lame!

Any ideas?

Won't really impact on your role play - but you could use something like 'Can't you sleep little bear?' Doesn't this book have little bear being afraid of various things in the night???? Rather late, and just a thought. If I'm right it might help children who are more afraid - it's not uncommon to have these feelings and there's usually an explanation?

Or - We're going on a bear hunt. Could have a bear cave outside and a bear hiding inside - that's guaranteed a scream or two. and they could retell the story as they go.

we're doing night and day too and have just enjoyed the "catching dreams" activity on the resource pages. We talked about scary dreams, read the story "Supposing" about scary thoughts and happy thoughts and then played with trays full of flour, glitter and stars and the children used sieves to catch their "dreams" and decide whether they were happy or scary.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)