Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview

Hi

Did put this under 'childrens Centre's@ a few days ago but I got no response. I would really appreciate a bit of advice about an interview that I have tomorrow, its for a creche supervisor in a Children's centre. They have asked that I prepare an activity for under 5's. That is all the information they gave. It doesnt state for how many children, what their ages are or whether it should be a table top activity or a circle time activity.

I have borrowed some bells and shakers and thought they could be used by either months olds or 4 year olds? They could go on a table top or be used in circle time!??

I also have loads of lovely stories, and puppets, so I could take them along and see how old they are etc and decide at the time?

I feel that its a bit unfair as usually you plan an activity based on your knowledge of the children, I feel like I am going in totally blind! Also for all I know they may have musical instruments out that day!! As I have no idea what resources are already there, it makes it difficult!

Any advice would be grately appreciated.

I cant wait for this week to be over! I have one interview today and then two more tomorrow!!

jx

Hi Jenni,

They haven't given you much to go on, have they? xD

I think your idea of books and puppets is great as a back up. Taking some instruments is good too; are you happy to burst into song? You could also take a tape recorder and have a couple of songs that you can sing along too, and if you have any scarves/ribbons, etc for the children to move about with, that would be a lovely activity too. My feeling when you are being watched with a group of children is that the less you require them to sit still and listen (ie in a circle time, for example) the better! Particularly as you don't know the children and you don't know how much back up you'll get from other adults. There's nothing worse that watching somebody's carefully prepared activity go down the tubes because the children are refusing to cooperate :o

I think a floor activity is the best bet; it gives the children more opportunity for moving about. How about a simple version of Kim's game? Hide three objects under a piece of fabric, and see if they can guess what's missing? Increase the number of items according to the children.

If you take three or four ideas with you, you can always decide at the time. I believe THE most important thing you can do is show your enjoyment of being with the children. If your observers see that you love working and playing with children, you're most of the way there. I wish you lots of luck; let us know how you get on. :(

I agree I think your idea with the puppets and stories is lovely, get the children involved with the puppet saying hello to them etc then maybe include some rhymes or songs, choose a nice repetative story so they are engaged. If you feel they can't sit there for a story you could get them to do actions e.g mr lion say touch your nose.... turn around. the best of luck

Sorry I missed this yesterday - was a bit preoccupied with getting ready for my setting visit for EYPS! :o

I just wanted to say good luck, hope it went well and let us know how you got on!

Maz

Hi

Well I have had three interviews this week and am feeling quite horse from all the talking!! :(

The interview yesterday was for a lead practitioner for a pre-school that got inadequate in each and every area of their Ofsted report. There was no level 3 staff member and 2 level 2's, 2 working towards level 2. This didnt put me off as I think it would be a great challenge, however when I asked various questions at the end of the interview I wasnt entirely happy. Nothing had yet been done re eyfs, policies all in the process of being updated etc etc and when I asked about whether their was a waiting list secretary they said no the 'lead practitioner' would do that. They would pay 1 hour admin a week to do all the paperwork! associated with the pre-school!! :o So although I have been asked back in for a second visit (they couldnt decide between 3 of us) I am not sure that I want to get back into that whole 'paper work overtaking life' thing!!

The interview at the creche was great. I loved it there!! It felt like a really nice place to work and all the staff were friendly and lovely. Its a new children's centre so they are developing the services it offers!! They liked the music activity too!! They will let me know on Monday whether I have been sucessful or not (I really want this one)

The third one, which was also today was for an LSA post in a school (reception). School was nice and well resourced but it didnt feel right as I was only in there for 15 mins including a tour of the school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I was very suprised to get a call to offer me the job!! xD I asked if they would mind waiting for confirmation for a few days as I have been attending interviews etc and they said yes, but later phoned to say that they wanted an answer by tomorrow morning!!! :( I dont know what to do!! This post is tempary til August and I would really love the job in the children's centre, but if I dont get it I will still be without a job!!!

Sorry if I have waffled on, just wanted to share!!!!!!

jx

ooh difficult one but I would go with your 'gut' feeling about whether to accept the school one or not.

Is there any possibility you could contact the creche one to see if they have made a decision yet, acknowledging that they may stil be doing further interviews, but you won't know unless you ask. Or maybe rather than turn down the school job (if that is your decision) just let them know that you will let them know your decision on Tuesday, ring them on Tuesday (if creche is not successful) and see if it's still available. That is if after the weekend you still feel you can get over you reservations about the school post. xD

Also think about attending the second visit at the preschool, this may help with your decision making too. (especially if you have good 'delegation' skills with regard to paperwork :( )

Not sure if that helped or confused. :o

Fingers crossed for you that you get the job you want.

Peggy

p.s. Well done on first getting to interview stage on 3 jobs and second for getting the job offer at the school.

Why do the school need an additional LSA and only on temporary contract? It doesnt really sound as if you think you would be happy there and gut feelings are important.

You can almost afford to turn it down and hope the creche one turns up or you could try phoning them and say you have been offered something else but would prefer theirs? Is there any room for negotiation of responsibilities/ pay in the other setting, might be worth returning and clarifying a few things should the creche not turn up trumps.

Tricky decisions, good luck.

I always make a decision and then "sleep" on it. If I then continue to feel uneasy I know I need to choose the other option!