Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Deputy Manager Deputies /roles And Senior Nursery Officers Too

Hi all,

could you please let me know what roles and responsibilities your deputy manager and senior nursery officer has?

my deputy or senior can be free for three hours a week (on a tuesday PM) otherwise they are always room based.

i am supernummaray all the time.... my nursery owner has asked me to compile a list of office based / paper work tasks that i feel i can delegate to my deputy and/or senior. since they are only free for three hours a week i wanted to guage opinion and find out what other nurseries did.....

really i feel all office based stuff should be done by myself, since i am spare if you like. alternativeley i could cover my deputy / senior so that they could do office stuff whilst i cover in their rooms, however i feel this is pointless and seems like i am passing my responsabilities over.

the nursery owner is hellbent on my making the deputy and senior do more, but i don't want to them to feel like i am handing over all my work to them and also i do not want to cause rooms disruption by taking these staff out frequently.

does any of this make sense?

Dawn

Maybe you could use this time for them to do staff observations to inform the staff supervision/appraisal meetings.

I understand you feel the 'paperwork' is your role, as you are supernumery, but it is also important for your deputy/ senior nursery officers to have a handle on the 'business' side of the setting.

Another area would be SEF, they have a more indepth working knowledge of this, policy reviews, particular childrens IEP's etc. Liaison, including prep reports, with other agencies such as SALT.

Peggy

Both my deputys are room based with very little other duties apart from when im not there then i ensure one of them is oput of the room, but i only do this if the person covering them is well known in their room already to ensure a consistancy for the children.

What do they normally do with their three hours. I would imagine this could be taken up with room based tacks such as planning, profiles, evaluations I.E.P.'s. If this is so then would they need additional time to do office based duties. It is always good practice to have back-up for the office so could some time be spent on general cover - show rounds, phones, bills for instance and also could they each be given an area of responsibility. Ideas for this could be policies, health and safety, inventory, stock control depending on what you normally cover.

Thanks for advice...

with there three hours they normally catch up on tasks i.e profiles etc....., but i need to be able to give them some focused tasks. i love the idea of asking them to observe other staff, i feel this would be a really productive use of their time.

all of my senior team know how to deal with day to day occurances in office, ie answering phone, show rounds, opening and sorting mail, checking e-mails and dealing with sick children or general enquiries etc, so can manage the office if i ever was not there. then again i am nearly always there :o so they typically do not have to do these things on a regular basis. unless i start to delegate more, which i will be doing from now on.

Dawn