Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anti Bullying Week

Hi - next week our whole school is taking part in anti bullying week and I want to focus on being a good friend with my reception class. Can you think of any good stories that I can read that will provoke discussions about the things we need to do to be a good friend. Thanks - my brain is frazzled and the glass of wine Ive just had isnt helping me think any clearer!

There's a lovely book I have in school called 'Is that what friends do?' - can't remember the author but you could google it. It's about a monkey who has lots of friends and an elephant who hasn't got any. The monkey says he'll be the elephants friend and they begin to spend time together. But the monkey is totally selfish and just does the things he wants to do taking no account of the elephant at all. In the end the monkey admits that he hasn't got any real friends. The kids love it.

Have you looked on the SEAL website? They're recommending a book called 'Something Else' by Kathryn Cave and Chris Riddell (Puffin 1995) for a KS1 - learning objective 'to understand what it means to exclude or marginalise'.

Try www.bandapilot.org.uk , go to Primary SEAL, then Theme by Theme, 3: Say no to Bullying: under downloads find your year group colou and you've access to updated SEAL resources for your class.

Also www.anti-bullyingalliance.org.uk (the official Anti-Bullying website)

Harricroft

Another good one is Little Croc - about a crocodile who isn't friendly adn so gets left alone by others - he finds out how hard it is to play by himself, even though it means he wins every game/comes first in every race/never gets found in hide and seek games etc! little bird shows him how to be more friendly because teh croc doesn't KNOW how to. A short but direct book, my class love it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)