Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Celebrations

Guest Wolfie

I've just started work in a Children's Centre where opinion about what the nature of the Christmas celebrations should be is definitely divided! By Christmas celebrations, I mean some kind of nursery event (0-5) to which the parents are invited.

I have some ideas (and opinions!) of my own but would like to get the ideas and opinions of the forum members too - what is everyone doing in their setting for Christmas? Low key/high profile? Formal/informal? And the reasoning behind why you are doing what you are doing if possible please?

Edited by Wolfie

Haven't we talked about this before, Wolfie? :o

Our Christmas celebration is a mini performance for the parents, very low key in itself but both parents and children love it. Its usually an emotional time, being the last day of term and for some children their last day with us before going to 'big school'. It takes place during normal session time, although parents bring their children in at 10 o'clock to allow us to get the room ready. They drop their children off and then go and take their place in the audience and wait for the entertainment to start...

I always make a speech at the beginning (whilst the children are getting ready, and then when I get the nod, I introduce each child with a rhyming couplet all about them, which is usually finished by the time they reach their seat. When each child is sitting on their chair, our performance begins - usually the children who are leaving have a special job to do such as welcoming everyone to the play, or thanking them for coming at the end.

We ask each parent to buy a present to the value of £5 which they wrap up and bring in. Once the singing is over with, Father Christmas arrives to distribute the presents, and has his photo taken with each child. Then we eat snack, drink tea and shed a few tears as we say goodbye for the Christmas holidays.

Then we go off to have our staff lunch!

Then I go home and collapse in a heap! xD

Haven't we talked about this before, Wolfie? :o

Oh yes, probably! But there HAVE been a lot of new members joining recently and it's always nice to hear fresh ideas. Thanks for the link Beau..birthday girl! xD I've just had a quick look at the previous thread and most of the contributors seem to have planned a performance/production of some kind - is there anyone out there that has a more informal approach?

Edited by Wolfie

We used to have a party for the children with the parent providing the party food. We would play a few simple games, have a few crafts running (generally things like make a mat which we laminated, make a hat) as well as having other toys available. Then after the children had eaten we would all sit together to sing some Christmas songs, leading into Jingle Bells at which time Father Christmas would magically appear and hand out presents. It was all very informal and low stress for everyone concerned! :o

Hi All,

There are two sides to Christmas - one being the "Christian aspect" and the other being "Father Christmas" -

We have each year a nativity - all children from different faiths are included and as we have a good relationship with parents of different faiths we have NEVER had any concerns raised. One of our muslim children acted out the role of Mary at our nativity - and when we celebrated Eid, her parents came in with their lovely clothes and the most wonderful food for the children to share -we created craft activities and wall displays just the same as Christmas.

A lot of children in our setting who celebrate other faiths, still celebrate Fr Christmas - so I think our kids are only young once - why not go to town !!!!! We have the whole lot, Nativity, endless christmas crafts, christmas party and Fr Christmas.

Best thing is endless glitter - so much fun when you are little or a big adult.

Dot

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)