Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our Playgroup Name Has Caused Offense!

Yesterday two staff members & four children went out to post a letter. The children wear hi-viz vests with our name on the back "U.R.C. Playgroup" This stands for United Reformed Church, the playgroup was started by the church & now is independent and hires the hall.

Staff where approached by two mothers who said that they where going to send their child to our setting but now that they have seen the hi-viz jackets & the U.R.C. on the back that they had changed their mind as they couldn't be seen promoting a religion. Staff replied that we hire the hall & encourage learning of all faiths.

Later on I spoke to my mother who was quite chuffed with her self as she had came across the two same ladies discussing playgroups in our town, my mother suggested to come and see us! quite a long debate started as the mothers wanted a playgroup which was not run in a church building confused as to why my mother asked why? the same reason was given as before " promoting religion" my mother was handed a leaflet promoting their religion, Jehovah. My mother replied in our family we have many faiths including Jehovah, my daughter will explore different faiths which your children will gain knowledge about for their future.

I fully understand & respect the mothers religion & all faiths but i had not considered that the wording "U.R.C." could cause such a stir.

Hi Lesley,

Unfortunately it is all too easy to 'offend' someone nowadays. There are so many different religious and cultural beliefs and practices. It is impossible to please everyone, and perhaps you shouldn't try. People will either accept the group for what it is and go elsewhere - that is their choice. :o

I fully understand & respect the mothers religion & all faiths but i had not considered that the wording "U.R.C." could cause such a stir.[/color][/font]

Lesley, probably if you called your playgroup something comletely different, these parents would not be happy to attend a group which meets in a church building - as Beau says that is their choice. If you want to change your group's name to something more child friendly, then that's one thing. However if you're happy as you are then I'd just put this down to experience and the fact that whilst we might not always agree with what they decide (and why), this is a prime example of parental choice working in action!

How lovely to have such a supportive, knowledgeable mum - you're a lucky girl! :o

Maz