Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Foundation Stage Profile- Is It For Nursery?

Hi,

I am confused. Is the Early Years Foundation Stage Profile for Nurseries to use?

Previously we used to mark childrern off on the stepping stones, and then we could see- well SMT could see value added and progression, but because there are no stepping stones how can they see that now.

For example if i assess/observe a child to be within the 40-60 months stage at the beginning of Nursery and then I assess/ observe at the end of Nursery and I find they have made progression but are still within the 40-60 month stage, surely my SMT will query whether they have made any progress at all because they are still within the same stage.

With the stepping stone I could identify that a child was working on a certain colour, but my SMT could say that according to Jan Dubiel they were working below/ within or above the National average, and thus could make the comment on the Ofsted form like

Children enter Nursery below average/ broadly average or above average. Or however they need to 'term' it

How can I find out this kind of information?

Thank you in advance, I am sure I am missing the obvious here!

Hi

We use the profile in nursery for children who are in their reception year, as we have termly intakes into reception. I don't currently use in the nursery apart from the end of the summer term where I use for the next reception cohort to provide on entry data for children in their recpetion year. Hope that makes soem sense.

I'm not trying to be picky.........but, when I attended a seminar led by Jan Dubiel in the summer he made it clear that we could only use the statement working above/at/below NATIONAL EXPECTATIONS for nursery children, as apposed to national averages as no official data is collected for that age group and so there isn't an official national average. Hope that makes sense.

Elfy

x

With the stepping stone I could identify that a child was working on a certain colour, but my SMT could say that according to Jan Dubiel they were working below/ within or above the National average, and thus could make the comment on the Ofsted form like

Hi Blossom! Just an extra question for you because I'm also struggling with similar issues at the moment - can you point me in the direction of what Jan Dubiel says about averages and where he says it? :o

Oh, I've just noticed that Elfy referred to him in her post too so that question is directed at both of you please1

Edited by Wolfie

Hi Blossom,

You've raised such an interesting question, and one which I'm sure others are worrying about too. There is no guidance to speak of regarding this; the one publication that we were hoping was going to help here, "Progress from the Start" was shelved the day it was due to be launched! This document was based on the whole issue of assessing children and proving value-added.

You're absolutely right about the hugeness of the 40-60 months band; a child could make progress, but still remain in that band for a long time so, like you, I can't see how you can place a value on the learning that has taken place.

There are several products coming on the market which permit an analysis of information gained from assessing the children, but personally I'm very wary of them. I really don't want to start "scoring" two and three year olds!

Sorry, was trying to rush of to work whilst writing this post- I do mean national expectations and not 'average'. But unless Jan Dubiel has given some more guidance- maybe in your Summer meeting- what he says about stepping stones and the national expectations is now redundant.

I need to show my SMT value added and that I have made (well my children) have made progress whilst in Reception and I am struggling about how to do this.

I will attempt to ask my authority, but well... they dont tend to be as helpful as your guys on here!

I also do not want to get into the habit of buying in a test for the Nursery children, and I do not wish my SMT to see this as the only way, any help or advice- gratefully received!

My interpretation(rightly or wrongly) of what I have heard said by Jan and LA advisors, is that despite the fact that some of the bands are HUGE they can still be used to talk about national expectations.

Elfy

Hello

So timely that you have asked this as I went on a 'summative assessment 3-5' course only yesterday in Shropshire so thought I would share what I learnt. I was told that practitioners need to be familiar with the profile but unless a child stays past their 5th birthday i.e. misses Reception and goes straight into year 1 after attending your setting then practitioners should not be using the profile as a means of summative assessment (this means summary of all your formative (regular) assessment) as it is not appropriate so other forms of summative assessment should be used e.g. report

We were told that our LA knows when all children will be starting school and that if there is an instance of a child leaving out Reception year then they will contact the setting to help practitioners complete the profile

They also said that if we were to deem a child entering school (reception) working at the Early Learning Goal then putting them above average has a knock-on effect throughout the rest of that child's school life i.e. key stage 1, 2, 3, at GCSE level etc. Obviously if have a gifted and talented child then is different but their point was that to mark a child above rather than below was deemed a disadvantage for their future. Does that make sense?

will dig out my notes once they are returned from staff and add to here if you would like me to

Bex

• 2 weeks later...

Hi have been doing this since march 08 running along side stepping stones and birth to 3 matters now have intergrated in as an inclusive practice found that using one of these tracting forms I designed to tract each childs progress when each key child has been doing it for a while then i highlight. Marking it off. It helps for planning for the children as well because all staff look at them see what area we need to work on and O.W.L to see child interest in those areas need. Hope it helps.

Take care

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)