Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baby P

hali

ive been on a update cp course as socco today. It was a very good presentation but as usual the story of Victoria Climbie was told and lord laming report and ofcourse every child matters. However I became really upset by this how can people who deliver training stand there and quote the devastation of that poor little girls life after what has happened!! I did calm down he said he obviously couldnt comment on the case of baby p but I couldnt not had mentioned him!! yes ofcourse children's services have changed for the better but we clearly have a very long way to go!!!

Im not sticking up for the "said social workers" but I have had a serious child protection case and had to make the call to Social Services (wondering whether i was doing the right thing! but being reassured by all of my staff i was!) and he was a known case two social workers were with me within 20 mins and dealt with very professionally and quickley, child got taken to hospital and was subsequently taken from mum.

As it was the first time for dealing with something so serious i felt quite upset as the parents and other family members all turned up at the setting at the same time as the children were due to go home! and shouted ,screamed and swore very loudley calling me all thenames under the sun. for ruining their family.

But I know I did the right thing when social services told me that i was the last bit of the jigsaw and thats what was needed to get him taken away.

I can do nothing but praise my local social services as the sais child is on the register and checked very regularly.

Its a good job people like us are on the ball and arn,t afraid to make the call however distressing it seems at the time.

Thank you for sharing your experience, like any stereotype, ie: S.Workers don't do their jobs, not every individual fits in it.

I don't think you can under-estimate the difference you have made to the childs life for being so professional and strong in your principle of 'the child is paramount' acting beyond our own fears and the 'needs' of the family. Well done.

Another point comes from your experience is the need for all settings to have in their CP policy how they will support staff who have had your experience, the aftermath, both legally and emotionally. No time to say goodbye, reflection of could I have seen something earlier, ( which is a natural yet not necessarily rationale thought). and how the setting has systems in place to minimise risk when angry parents may appear.

I hope that knowing you have done what the child couldn't do for him/her self, ie: have a voice and ask for help, makes this experience a little less painful for you.

Peggy