Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Scale Points

Wondered if someone could clarify this point for some colleagues for me - can you give a child scale point 1 and 2 in writing if they will only ever write their name to name their work but will not attempt to write anything in any other activities. Thanks

I give point 1 for writing to children who give meaning to any marks they make (so it could be something they have drawn, and they might say "That's me and we went to the park"). Not sure if that's right, but that's what I have been doing!

As for point 2, I have been using that for when there is evidence of letters being written, as opposed to just 'marks'.

I give point 1 for writing to children who give meaning to any marks they make (so it could be something they have drawn, and they might say "That's me and we went to the park"). Not sure if that's right, but that's what I have been doing!

As for point 2, I have been using that for when there is evidence of letters being written, as opposed to just 'marks'.

[/quote

i give 1 for mark making of any kind and then 2 for identifiable letters- some. number 4 is for writing their name but they have to be able to do 1,2, and 3 first to be able to get number 4 x x

hope that helps!

Thanks but the problem we have is that two children will only ever write their name and won't do anything else because they said 'they don't know how to write' - so do they get scale point 1 and 2 or not? :o

Remember too the "writing" can be painting letters/water outdoors/in the sand/in gloop or any media not just with a pen or pencil.

I find reluctant writers often use letter shapes in this kind of play. On Friday my little Polish boy (no English spoken) covered his painting with "O" and "L"s and pointed and said his name.

Thanks but the problem we have is that two children will only ever write their name and won't do anything else because they said 'they don't know how to write' - so do they get scale point 1 and 2 or not? :o

I would give it to them. It shows that they have an understanding of what those letters mean. Hope that helps.

Wondered if someone could clarify this point for some colleagues for me - can you give a child scale point 1 and 2 in writing if they will only ever write their name to name their work but will not attempt to write anything in any other activities. Thanks

The children must record a selection of letters during independent play activities to achieve scale point 2.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)