Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 Year Olds

Hi everyone, we are and have always been registered to take children from 2 years old. Up until now we have stuck to 2 1/2, we are now considering lowering this to 2 to try to build up numbers, especially in the afternoons.

My questions is to you all.......can you all start throwing at me the fors and against for this decision.

Many thanks

mrsb

But remember there are 2 year olds and there are 2 year olds!!! Some are still babies who are

1. not ready to leave mum

2. still have a sleep usually in the afternoon

3. still snatching, biting, having temper tantrums

4. obviously in nappies

5. not quite ready for rules and boundaries

6. certainly not ready to sit for circle/grouptime

And obviously some are or very near and ofcourse there are 2half three year olds still do above!!

Not for me thanks but i know pre-schools who do and manage

Good luck!!

Andrea

Edited by Andreamay

We take ours at 2.5 years for all of the above reasons. :o We dont really ahve any where to change nappies and we can't really afford a member of staff to be changing lots of nappies per session.

I used to work in a day nursery before the preschool I am in now, so we had a dedicated room for children between 2 and 3. I am not sure some of our resources would be suitable for 2 year olds ie our climbing frame, we have staff on hand to help the 2.5 year old but I don't think it would be suitable for even average 2 year olds, let alone the 'young' 2 year olds. xD

we are playgroup registered for full day care. children accessing nursery grant can come 9-12, 9-1 or 9-3 using their vouchers how they want. 2-3 yr olds come on tues, wed or thurs afternoon 1-3pm they are mixed with the children who are all day. It is hard work they are into everything but the session is totally free flow with the exeption on 5mins of songs at the end. Works really well we will be full for our pm sessions in jan.

good luck

angela

We started taking 2 year olds two years ago. It was hard work at first as we are in a village hall so only have one room. We have ended up dividing the room up with low dividers. We have two groups now, the 2-3year olds and the 3-4.9yrs olds. 2 staff and up to eight 2 year olds! It is hard work especially in a village hall, but we have overcome all practical problems ie: nappy changing facilities, having somewhere for children to lay down if they are tired etc. We have also had to do 2 separate planning sheets one for each age group, which is obviously extra work! If you have the backing of the committee to spend money on facilities etc and extra staff then its worth considering.

Also agree with Andreamay, two year olds are more work! BUT very rewarding.

Regarding your numbers - they should go up - our 2 year old group is always full, there seems to be a demand for care for 2 year olds in our area.

hope it goes well

Annabell

We take two years olds and are in one main hall - how does it work dividing the room into age groups do they not woant to join eac h other?

smiles

Hi Smiles

The children know their own area and generally dont want to join the other group. When the children start it is made clear the groups, key people and areas for each. Circle time is special as we always reinforce a sence of belonging to their own special group. Generally new 2 year olds dont have the confidence when they first start to explore the other group so its not a problem in the beginning but as they gain confidence we let them explore the other group if they want to but they soon come back to their area to join their friends. We have had some children when they have turned 3 not want to move up groups, so that transition has been hard for them, but the majority of children enjoy moving up to the next group and once they have moved up dont want to join the little ones again. This has worked well for us compared to having the ages mixed, the children and staff are alot more happier and settled.

Annabell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)