Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nqt Help With Eyfs

I am an NQT in a reception class and would really appreciate ideas and advice from anyone in a similar position to myself or from anyone on the other side of the fence!! (friendly advice only please!).

I have been trained to teach Early Years and most of the training I did last year centred around the implementation of the EYFS. The placement schools that I worked in during my PGCE year had started to implement the practice of the EYFS and so gave me a good grounding. For example, children were encouraged to make choices, there was a lot of outdoor play (free flow in the afternoon - not prescribed playtimes) and a lot of creative and practical activities to support learning. Parents were also encouraged into the classrooms in the morning when they dropped their children off.

The school that I am now employed by seem to work differently and insist that they are working to the requirements of the EYFS when they are not. I am a very tactful person and obviously don't want to keep makng suggestions about trying things that I have been taught as this really winds up the more experienced and longer standing teachers. I am aware that experience counts for more than anything else but really dont want to be teaching my reception class three part maths lessons with worksheets when OFSTED arrive soon. It's not just OFSTED its the whole thing, I'm getting fed up of sneaking around and letting children design their own pictures and use their own colours when this is clearly not what the FSL or HT want. I overheard the FSL telling her whole class (while sat at their tables) which colour pencils to pick up, when, and what part of the picture to colour next with that colour yesterday. xD

I really enjoy teaching and like the school otherwise, but I cant teach in such a prescriptive way. Should I just do prescriptive teaching when the head / mentor / foundation leader observe me, or should I move school?

If you are a long standing teacher reading this - please do not criticise me for wanting change!

All constructive advice really gratefully received.

:o

I just wanted to say that it sounds like a hard place to be at right now!

If you are brave enough you should try and do what you know to be right, but I fully appreciate that this is so much easier said than done!!!

Experience DOES count for alot, but occasioanlly experience can lead to a person being unwillingly to change and to move forward and you shouldn't have your own teaching compromised by this attitude.

Not at all helpful I know, but wanted to let you know I felt for you!!

Difficult one...

Have you been told that you are expected to work in the same way?

Have you had a chat with your mentor.....

I would try to talk to the FSL- but if this is not possible the HT. It really is a difficult position to be in.

IS it possible for you to visit other EY settings as part of your NQT time and then you could use this as a basis for discussion of changes you would like to make.

If you have been told to work in this way- then I think I would question why.... and change maybe one area at a time.... stick to your guns and whn being observed teach as you feel it should be.... as long as you are able to justify what you are doing, show what the children anre learning and that they are making progress.

I think if I was in this positiona dn had tried the above to no avail I think I would move schools.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

L

A difficult one and I empathise, my experience of this was when I was a tutor and my students would come into class dismayed that the placements they were in did not have the same phylosophy as I was teaching and the students were learning.

Ask yourself why you became a teacher and can you work within a school that doesn't practice your values and beliefs, or if there is room for compromise, understanding that attitudes are very difficult to change, especially if they 'come from the top'.

I am aware that experience counts for more than anything else.......... As an experienced (20+ yrs) practitioner without a teachers qualification, I do believe experience counts, but it can only count if part of the experience expertise is driven through reflective practice, ongoing training of current thinking ( willingness to continue to learn) and an open mind to all peoples views. Remembering that dinosaurs became extinct, I don't mean that to be offensive, but as in all things in life, we all need to evolve as our environment and continual learning requires of us.

It's not just OFSTED its the whole thing, This comment, in part, answers my question about why you wanted to teach, it certainly wasn't about 'passing' inspections, which I'm glad to hear. Unfortunately, some, but not many are motivated or can only see this goal, and as you know 'Teaching' is so much more than this, it is a vocation that needs people like you who have the wider vision for our children.

So, can you work in a place that doesn't follow your vision?

I hope that there is room for compromise (at the least) or even a whole school 'true' understanding and change of practice to what the EYFS embodies. Let us know how things go.

Peggy

Thanks for your lovely replies scarlettangel and Lorna. I haven't been told specifically that I MUST work this way but have been told to ask the Foundation Leader for advice and guidance when I know that nearly everything she does in her classroom gos totally against the way that I want to teach myself. Have tried talking to her very tactfully (she is nice at times but far from being the most friendly people-person!) but she got a bit annoyed about university people teaching students new ideas when they dont have a clue about teaching in early years! (her words not mine - my Uni tutors were ex early years teachers, (yes recently!) advisors and academics too). Really dont want to fall out with people as I know I will prob be at this school for the rest of the year. Dont want to go to head over anyone else as I KNOW this will cause trouble - think the head is unaware of EYFS practice anyway . I will ask my mentor if I can use some NQT time to visit outstanding EYFS schools - is this normally allowable for NQTs do you know?

Peggy - thanks for your lovely advice too! - You've made me realise that I don't have to carry on teaching this way just because this school does - NO I cannot work in a school that does not follow my vision - I really believed that they'd share it or embrace it when I joined. How wrong can you be? I'll do it my way tactfully then move next year if nothings changed. Is this a good idea?

I too am an NQT and am finding it tough at the moment in a lot of ways. Just wanted to say that yes it is allowed for us to visit other schools - in fact it should really be encouraged so that you can observe other good practice etc. I am hoping to go visit another Nursery setting in the next week or two to give me some ideas about changes I can make in my Nursery.

Good luck with it all, and just look forward to this time next year when we are no longer NQTs!

I too am an NQT and am finding it tough at the moment in a lot of ways. Just wanted to say that yes it is allowed for us to visit other schools - in fact it should really be encouraged so that you can observe other good practice etc. I am hoping to go visit another Nursery setting in the next week or two to give me some ideas about changes I can make in my Nursery.

Good luck with it all, and just look forward to this time next year when we are no longer NQTs!

Good Luck to you too!

I'm looking forward to Monday now so that I can ask my mentor about visiting other schools. I already know at least two I want to go to!!

Are you a one form entry - are you allowed to make changes just like that you lucky thing??

Yes we are one form entry, which has positive and negative sides as does everything. I have already made a few changes - only small things, nothing that will really rock the boat! But to be honest I find that I am left alone the majority of the time - metaphorically not literally, I obviously have my nursery nurse but aside from that nobody else really comes down much, I think a lot of it is to do with the slightly different hours that Nursery keeps. So we are probably experiencing the complete opposite at the moment - you feel too restricted by the opinions of others whereas sometimes I could really do with a bit more support from more experienced teachers. Which is why I want to visit other settings for some inspiration, and you should definitely do it too!

Yes we are one form entry, which has positive and negative sides as does everything. I have already made a few changes - only small things, nothing that will really rock the boat! But to be honest I find that I am left alone the majority of the time - metaphorically not literally, I obviously have my nursery nurse but aside from that nobody else really comes down much, I think a lot of it is to do with the slightly different hours that Nursery keeps. So we are probably experiencing the complete opposite at the moment - you feel too restricted by the opinions of others whereas sometimes I could really do with a bit more support from more experienced teachers. Which is why I want to visit other settings for some inspiration, and you should definitely do it too!

I definitely will - thank you !!!! :o

Peggy - thanks for your lovely advice too! - You've made me realise that I don't have to carry on teaching this way just because this school does - NO I cannot work in a school that does not follow my vision - I really believed that they'd share it or embrace it when I joined. How wrong can you be? I'll do it my way tactfully then move next year if nothings changed. Is this a good idea?

I'd say the EYFS is new for this term, needs to be addressed, but change takes time to take on board, understand and then practice. Get some personal motivation from the other schools you visit, keep your ears and eyes open for other 'work' opportunities, inspire others around you at your current school, enthusiasm can be contagious, and as to "Is this a good idea", that really depends on many factors in your life, a lot can happen in a year ( or 10mths I should say), as long as you have your principles and can keep to them that what will eventually really matter to you.

Peggy

p.s. another record breaking long sentence of mine- I'm reknowned for them xD:(:o

You could also talk to your LEA Early Years Teacher/ Advisor. He/ She may be able to help you approach your mentor or HT and you should be teaching how you know you should should OFSTED visit. ( by that read, not copying the other teacher although depending on the context of what the teacher was trying to achieve, what you observed may not be so completely outragous?)

Good luck and have fun, reception is a super place to be.

Hi, I was a NQT last year and I DID rock the boat in a big way, although I was quiet for the first term I think! The Early years classes really needed to change and the staff were very much doing what they had always done, the other teachers both have young children and I think their priorities changed. At the end of my second term I was made reception leader and together as a team we have really changed every aspect of practice, curriculum and the environment. It was only because I had the drive and enthusiasm though, it was me in at the weekends and staying late but it has been worth it as I am almost teaching in the way I imagined I would.

Whilst this might not be possible for you if you are able to organise your class your way then you may find things that happen in your class gradually happen in the others!

If not get in touch with your early years advisory teacher she doesn't cost anything and will be able to advise you and even speak to your head about the implemantation of the EYFS. It may be easier to hear from someone on the outside?

We are expecting OFSTED next term and the SEF for Early Years is huge if you get hold of a copy of the OFSTED guidelines (you will find it on here but I have never got my head around doing a link!) they give details of what OFSTED inspectors are looking for to get the different grades and yshe won't get an outstanding by directing children in what and how to draw or doing lots of worksheets.

Good Luck

Sharon

Thanks Sharon. That's really useful!

Well done too - you sound like a great teacher. I definately have drive and enthusiasm and really want to create a happy, fun, confident learning atmosphere for my children, so am planning to ride through the storm this year - maybe a bit sneakily though - doing what I really believe is best for the children but hiding it a bit from the others.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)