Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs And Outdoor Play

Sorry Marion, but I actually laughed at that - not because it's funny, but because it is so ridiculous! Tearing your hair out would probably be an understatement!

Regarding the children out on their own thing, our outdoor area is secure, and if we are not all out, I have always let 4 out without an adult. We can keep an eye on them and they have always been really good at coming to let us know if so-and-so is hurt (usually, thankfully, they haven't been remotely hurt but it's obviously the thought that counts! And the care for each other has continued on the occasions where a plaster, etc, has been needed!)

Since Sept, I have been giving them all more choice of in or out, but usually all but one (sometimes even 3!) have wanted to be outside. My plan was to have one adult in and one out if there was a split, but obviously if a big majority want to be out, it makes sense to have both adults out and the few 'insides' in on their own, but somehow I don't feel as comfortable about this as having a few out on their own - which is silly really! When it's just been one wanting to be in, I'm afraid I've said we all need to be out. Anyway, enough rambling...! :o

x

Hi,

Firstly poor you Marion it must be so frustrating, not sure that I can offer any advice except to say that I feel for you and can only hope that you get some progress soon.

Just wanted to share my exciting time outside today to reassure others that sometimes it does work ok.

Well today in my Reception class I decided that I would have a couple of children guided writing with me outside rather than inside. It was freezing, drizzley and not the best day to try this but it was really interesting to see the way the outside area changed with me sitting out there. My TA was involved in firework creativity of wax resist and other painting inside and we have free flow between the inside and outside areas. We had put out bikes, scooters and other active equipment because it was the first day back after half term but just by being there and supporting the writng boys who would normally want ot be very active were stopping and coming to see what we were doing. Then fetching a notepad and writing independently outside. Although I was cold and wet it felt fantastic to engage these usually very physical and active children in this way.

I hope to continue it for the rest of the week, weather permitting but as we have no shelter it may not be possible this week, but would definitely recommend it!!!!

Nicky Sussex xD:(:(

Last year one little girl who was never really comfortable speaking inside could always be heard chatting away happily outside. Inside she observed the others playing, outside I loved the way she organised especially the boys into doing races, imitating games like whats the time mr wolf, it was great. In the morning I fill the water tray with hot water from the tap, the children love this. Sorry to hear about your situation Marion but I feel if anyone can overcome this situation you can!!!! Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)