Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted !

Hi - we are a sessional pre- school and were committee run until September -now its me and the other previous manager who run it as a private concern. We were ofsteded last Jan ( Jan 2007)but needed to re- register ( had a visit fron inspector thaen in July 2008) cos committee dissolved and we went on as new new management . I have just had a call from Ofsted to check details - when open , session times any planned inset days , and they said they were up dating records and an inspector would be calling us in the next few months to arrange a visit. We did sort of expect this cos of new registration just wondered if anyone else had a pre- visit call from and inspector to arrange date or did they just turn up (as they did with us in Jan 2007) and how long from call to visit - thanks Lizzy

we did a simular thing. committee left myself and a partner took over had suitable person check july2007. partner left in dec 2007 so had to register again and pay another 150 pounds and another suitable person check. they said visit would probably be sept 2008 cos of changes but has to be 6-9mths of registration. They rang in april2008 asking about opening did not mention a visit then turned up two weeks before summer hols. I am glad in a way as it was on old system we got good for our first which i was so pleased about.

good luck i should be on your guard anytime

angela

Hi Oakley - you are not being nosey at all . It sounds loads really but its quite easy if you do it step by step. If you are reg with pre-school learning alliance they will guide you through- we are reg with them but they dont have a local office in our area so our development worker gave us advice. You have to approach your committee with the proposal and they have to discuss it if they think its feasible and if they are in favour they have to call an egm (extraordinary general meeting) where all parents are invited and they have to vote whether the charity will dissolve in favour of a private concern - you cannot attend as you are not a member -a parent- but we wrote a statement which we asked to be read out at the meeting stating our reasons for wanting to go it without a committee.

If the vote goes in your favour there are lots you need to do after that- re-register with ofsted, set up business bank accounts, reg the pre- school as a limited company with company house, inform council of changes for education grants, set up the liability insurance for yourselves.

It sounds a lot but its reasonably easy - hope this helps Dizzy x