Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For Children's Interests

I want to change the way I teach and start planning from the children's interests. Our school currently follows the Hamilton Trust topics which are OKish but I want to move away from this and go with the children.

Any advice please? Should I start with my own base topic and then see where they take it? How do I ensure I am covering ELGs etc.

have a look on Durham CNET website in the EY section, there are some good planning formats- advance and retrospective. Might be of some help to get you started?

If you do a search and find the continuous provision sheets, or look in the resource section. These could be a starting point for your other Reception teachers to see the immense holistic learning that goes on without a sign of any topic. :o

It is difficult to 'let go of' what we know and are comfortable with. Others have found that reflective planning, following childrens interests etc once tried and 'settled' does actually entails LESS work in contrast to looking for inspiration for what to do with any given topic. I personally found I got much more 'job satisfaction' being inspired by the children than a blank sheet of paper waiting for me to fill it in with 'ideas' of 'what' to teach and 'how' to teach it. They may only gain the confidence once they see that the childs 'learning journey' records show that learning is taking place, across all ELG's, at the childs pace. Their skills of scaffolding the childrens learning will also ensure that any gaps or individual progression are met too. :(

Good luck.

Peggy

p.s. you could also tell them about this forum, then they can 'research' for themselves, and ask any questions about how this type of planning looks in practice. xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)