Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Play And Planning In A Foundation Unit

Was wondering how to manage plannning in our foundation unit where I firmly believe in following children's interests (with a balance of adult initiated!) with someone who prefers topics. We're currently following the children's interests following observations when I plan for three weeks followed by three weeks of topic based work when the other teacher plans. the whole thing is becoming a mess. Any advice would be welcome.

You need to be singing from the same hymn sheet, or you will find it really difficult with mixed appraoches.

Does your partner also think things are a mess and if so are you both identifying the same reasons, this may give you some common ground to move forward?

Good luck.

Thanks Susan...other person thinks things are fine, I'll keep on going and hopefully things will change as more training courses happen etc...thanks

Edited by ajr

Could you and your team go and visit some other settings to see how they function, learn a little of what their philosophy is etc. So often I have been inspired and re-energised when I have seen outstanding practice that has challenged my way of doing things.....

maybe worth a try? Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• 4 months later...
:o I don't know if I'm getting to old in the tooth for this lark but ..... I am really struggling with all the changes. I don't think I've got the balance right and find the new planning difficult to control. Perhaps thats it I'm a control freak! Any ideas and comment s would be grateful of how others balance cont. provision, focussed tasks and observations

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)