Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numeracy / Number Area

Hi!

I am worried that my nursery children do not access the number area very much at all. I just wondered what other people put in thiers that is exciting and stimulating so that the children want to go in!

Any suggestions are very welcome!!

Thank you!

Tink! :o x

Although we do have a number area where we tend to have the puzzles, number games and activities we do also use numbers elsewhere, e.g. counting the children at registration, relating that to numbers on the number board or number line.

We are currently learning Nursery Rhymes and last week were doing '1,2,3,4,5 once I caught a fish alive'. We hid numbers of different sizes in the sand and the children loved finding them and then trying to find all the same size numbers. We had large wooden numbers, number stickers on card and small sequin numbers. It kept them going for quite a while!

Rachel

Recent maths course at Early Excellence with Linda Pound suggested that like literacy maths should be everywhere rather than a set area ~ measuring/shape equipment in the DT area ~ clocks/calendars/timers/scales in the home corner sand and water usually have measure/capacity equipment as part of the continuous provision snack ~ sharing/ matching cups/milk one to one correspondence ...

Hi, I am wanting to completely revamp my Numeracy area. Does any one have any photos of theirs which they could upload to get my mind working? it will be in the UF end of our unit. Thanks loads xxxxx :oxD

We have number lines ( we have laminated various ones from sparkle box and alernate these dependant on theme). we have posters date on wall which the children say the nember every day at registration time.

An old telephone book next to the play phone.

Numbe stencils

The computer!

Posters on computers and art area showing how many children can play !!(the children look at the number and count the children.

they count how many children we have in each session at registration time.

puzzles,games,books,rhymes & songs

The list is endless and when we were recently ofsteded the inspector said what has been said on here that numbers should be all around the setting at all times. She stated so many setting restrict to just table top activities.

Oh Ive just thought of something else takeaway menus and argos book in home corner they can order the number off of the chinese menu.

Hope this helps and that I havnt waffled.

i have wipeboards and pen for them to access because with all the visual numerac stimulus in my area they are quite content to come and opy and they love using those boards, simple but effective and does not take up much room x x x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)