Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Small Construction

Hi leydon

I read somewhere recently suggestion to place large sheets of paper and large pens to encourage drawing of roads, train tracks i.e leadingto mapping/ graphicacy skills. i haven't used it yet but am intending introducing it after using story map of bear hunt shortly. This might not be what you're after or you might already be doing this. in my head i was then going to try to move this forward to 'labels' New to reception so prob not happen like that at all but i can hope!

Hi leydon

I read somewhere recently suggestion to place large sheets of paper and large pens to encourage drawing of roads, train tracks i.e leadingto mapping/ graphicacy skills. i haven't used it yet but am intending introducing it after using story map of bear hunt shortly. This might not be what you're after or you might already be doing this. in my head i was then going to try to move this forward to 'labels' New to reception so prob not happen like that at all but i can hope!

Sounds Great. It's got me thinking!

I have a little boy who insists on using the telephone and "writing down orders" before he builds anything - his dad has a builder's yard :o . Little notebooks area great for this.

I like this idea! Thank you

I'd love to say it was my idea, bu can't claim any credit for it - we only discovered he was doing it when he was asked to put some animals "in order", and he went mad looking all over the classroom because he needed "an order" ! Just hope the "writing" will rub off on some of the others!

We use clip boards (or cardboard with a bulldog clip and some little pieces of paper) with sheets of paper around the setting. Sparklebox has some lovely print outs of drawing plans.

Had a look on sparkle box but couldn't find the drawing plans. Any idea whereabouts they are! Thanks for help, much appreciated! :o

Hi all

Just wondered if any of you had any ideas for writing in the small construction. Thought of making a plan of their model and/or recording work. Saving Bob the builder ideas for large conssruction!

Hi, I use small construction to encourage writing a lot in my reception class. I ask the children to create certain things such as a cafe, garage, supermarket etc, dependent upon our theme, and then I have lots of small pieces of paper in the area for them to use as labels. The children label each part of the construction and then the children tell the rest of the class what they have made, using labels as prompts. These labels are written using emergent writing, so at the beginning of the year I am lucky to get an initial sound written! Later on in the year, these improve to have proper spellings and even (if I am very lucky) a storyline, or menu, or list !! I then take photographs and use these and the labels as assessment!

Hope this helps xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)