Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sen Nursery Class

Hi

I am teaching a mixed nursery/reception SEN/regular class! I currently have 3 SEN 3 year olds and 2 regular 4 year olds. I need help. This is my first year teaching in Special needs and I have previously taught in reception, so to have 3 3 year olds who are definetly working below their age is proving very tough. I am really struggling knowing what to plan for carpet times and group/independent activities bearing in mind that most of carpet times are spent bringing them back and asking them to do something I want just gets ignored or ends in a tantrum! I try and play with them and what they are interested in but when they do not talk this is harder than it seems. I especially wonder about planning from their interests (which I am used to doing in reception) as they do not give me anything to go on.

I hope this makes sense! Some ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Thank you

Hi

I am teaching a mixed nursery/reception SEN/regular class! I currently have 3 SEN 3 year olds and 2 regular 4 year olds. I need help. This is my first year teaching in Special needs and I have previously taught in reception, so to have 3 3 year olds who are definetly working below their age is proving very tough. I am really struggling knowing what to plan for carpet times and group/independent activities bearing in mind that most of carpet times are spent bringing them back and asking them to do something I want just gets ignored or ends in a tantrum! I try and play with them and what they are interested in but when they do not talk this is harder than it seems. I especially wonder about planning from their interests (which I am used to doing in reception) as they do not give me anything to go on.

I hope this makes sense! Some ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Thank you

What a strange mix.....as developmentally your 3 yr olds and 4 year olds are going to be poles apart. Your 3 yr olds are probably at a very sensory level so I would be planning lots of messy play activities, using lots of multi-sensory stimuli e.g. music, objects of reference etc at carpet times/ group activities etc. You will find that they can't sit for very long so keep your activities short. They are likely to be very egocentric so planning will need to be individualised. You will be planning from the EYFS developmental matters birth- 36 months. What staffing do you have?

I feel for your 4 year olds as they aren't going to be getting any social stimulus.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)