Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Changing Children Policy

Hello,

I work in an LA foundation stage unit and we have children who are not toilet trained. I am going to have to write a "Poo Policy" (I will find the correct terminology!). Can anyone help? Also I have some members of my team refusing to change children- what are their rights?

Thank you,

Lucyd

I don't know if this will be of any help....

Thank you so much! This forum is wonderful. That's a great start. I was told there has to be a witness to the changing for child protection- is this right?

Many thanks

I think that in an ideal world there would be, but in some circumstances, ours included, that just isn't possible all the time unless the safety and supervision of the other children is jeopardised. Make other staff aware of where you are and what you are doing and try to keep within view if at all possible - but don't put anything in your policy that you won't be able to keep to!

I am surprised to hear staff don't want to change children. I had a child who left our setting to go to a school nursery fulltime only to be excluded because she wasn't toilet trained. I think the school then came underfire from the early years team interms of inclusion and the disabilty act etc. This probably different as this child did have additional needs. However excluding or treating children differently surely cannot be allowed.

A local authority nursery - 3 and 4 year olds -that I sometimes work at has more and more children not toilet trained with every intake. They're not happy about it, believing that some parents have just been too lazy to do it and are leaving the job to the nursery staff, but there has never been the issue of any staff refusing to do it - they wouldn't be meeting those children's needs if they didn't!

Last year we had an influx of children (all boys) who were not toilet trained and as we were used to only changing children when they had had an accident, we started to take turns.

My point here though is that our school has a policy that 2 people are present when children are changed and this was obviously tricky when there were only 2 staff in the nursery!

Our head was insistent though to protect his staff!

My point here though is that our school has a policy that 2 people are present when children are changed and this was obviously tricky when there were only 2 staff in the nursery!

So how do you manage?? :o

Last year we had an influx of children (all boys) who were not toilet trained and as we were used to only changing children when they had had an accident, we started to take turns.

Our head was insistent though to protect his staff!

So how does the head protect the staff from being accused of neglecting the other children whilst the total staff team are changing a nappy? :o

I do believe that 2 'required' to change a nappy is an 'urban' myth. What does a childminder have, CCTV in the loo?

This issue has been discussed before. I personally think that insisting staff are 'supervised / monitored/ witnessed' whilst changing nappies, undermines their integrity, the settings employment procedures re: CRB and reference checks and the 'dignity' of the child. Have you noticed this is a 'pet hate' of mine xD:(

We had a nappy / toilet use (ie change of clothes if accidents occur) log.

It included; date, time, childs full name, staffs full name, details whether wee'd, soiled, cream applied, then staff signature. Some settings asked for parent signature but I didn't do this. My main reason for recording these details was for the childs 'health' record, changes from 'normal' would be identified and addressed, ie: tummy bug, nappy rash, etc.

Within the policy we would include need to wear gloves/apron, hygiene rules re disposal of nappies etc.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)