Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Small Construction

hi all

worked hard getting areas right for large and small construction. Large construction working really well and small not so well. I have organised duplo, mobilo and lasy as instructed ie into clearly defined boxes, e.g fixers, axles etc but they are not choosing to go in. What could entice them for self chosen activities and then maybe next week i'd have time to go in an do some focused activities. (help here would be appreciated too!) :o

Hi,

The children need to be motivated to use the resources available. Some children seem to gravitate towards the construction more readily than others - I certainly found that some years it was used a lot and other years the children just weren’t interested at all!

You say that the large scale construction is being used though, so obviously there is interest from some. I’m afraid that large scale will probably always lose out to small construction at this age. How much more gratifying to have something big appearing quite quickly from very little effort than fiddling around to create the same thing in smaller scale which looks pretty pathetic in comparison. :o

The only things that come to mind at the moment is that perhaps the children are unfamiliar with some of the construction and don’t actually know how to use it properly without some sort of teaching. We bought the sheets for the mobilo which gave step by step instructions on how to make different models. These were well worth the money as it helped to show the children how to put the bits together properly and what sort of things could be produced. Once they were confident at doing this they began to experiment much more with their own designs, first by adapting one of the models shown and later by designing their own from scratch. If you have time ( xD !!) some sort of sequencing photo’s of how to use your construction might help.

The opposite might also be true in that the children are too familiar with the construction resources. Many children have duplo at home and would have come across it at other setting they may have attended in the past. Therefore they may just want to play with the more novel resources at the moment.

If you have space (and enough resources to spare) it is also good if there is some sort of display area for them to place their models. This may also encourage others to have a go themselves. Failing this, could they take a photo and display it on a special board in the area?

Also, make sure that there are suggestions for what they could make - have photos in the area to stimulate their imaginations, particularly things relating to their current interests.

Good luck with it! :(

Hi Beau

Wow, i'm impressed with your obvious understanding. I think you've hit the nail on the head, not familiar enough and the large and small contrast. We have some mobilo cards hidden somewhere and will dig out! I'm new to reception. Thanks for great response.

We have a weekly challenge which is a photo of a model to attempt. There's a set of laminated names so the children can display it on a shelf with their name.

like already suggested we find having laminated models to copy or just photos of vehicles etc

Also having an adult model with them will often spur children to come to the construction as you are introducing it and yes displaying the finished work or letting the children photograph it for their profiles.

Andrea

The opposite might also be true in that the children are too familiar with the construction resources. Many children have duplo at home and would have come across it at other setting they may have attended in the past. Therefore they may just want to play with the more novel resources at the moment.

This is what we have found at our preschool this year. We have the giant Knex which is very popular, large soft lego and little tykes waffle blocks too. The small construction isn't a patch on it!! I must admit I prefer the large stuff too!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)