Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sharing Info With Other Settings

Under the EYFS requirements, how are you all sharing planning and observations for the individuals who attend other settings? I'm looking for an easy method which is beneficial to both settings (or three settings in some cases if a child goes to childminder, day nursery and pre school)something which isn't time consuming, and won't 'threaten' each other eg some settings are very reluctant to involve other groups, particularly when there is a high percentage of provision in the area, all fighting to remain viable - there is a fear that other groups will 'take' and not be prepared to give. Any advice of what you find works well?

how gr8 you are tinking about this as i too would like to

share info with other settings,

not sure about the right way to do it as i know some schools will not like

being partners with me and it will be a case of me fitting in with what they are doing

i hope some one ere will come up with a good answer for ya

is there a portfolio sent home to parents that other settings could add to?

We recently introduced a homelink diary to do just this as well as give parents the opportunity to share their child's achievements both at home and in the setting. A childminder we worked with to develop it was very enthusiastic, one local pre-school accepted it but didn't look happy and the other local pre-school shouted at me down the phone and refused to come to play nicely! Happily they have had a change of leadership since then and are now more on board.

To ensure the importance of the diary was brought home to the settings I enlisted the parents. I got them totally on board with it and then suggested they could ask their child's other settings to take part, for the benefit of their child. I provided them with letters to take to the other setting and made myself available to go and discuss issues with them, etc, putting all the hassle onto myself rather than them. The pressure of the parents has worked well and we have started to have a trickle of information coming to us, with floods going the other way. We have had to decide not to be precious about what we do, and we know anyway it works for us but you couldn't take it wholesale somewhere else and expect it to work. Eventually we hope the other settings will start to come on board more and the flow of information will be two way, but at least for now we can say we are trying. We also encourage the parents to note down in the diary anything they know the child has done at the other setting so we get the information that way, or we report in it what a parent has told us. You never know it might shame them in to writing it in next time.

Basically I think parent pester power can work wonders, but make it clear to anyone outside that you have tried to open the channels of communication and will continue to keep them open even if no-one seems to be talking yet! Good luck - it isn't easy.

I have am due a Ofsted inspection at any time, so had to get this one moving

I invited Early Years, 3 preschool settings and a childminder to my setting for a meet up to talk this through

It was decided that we would have a booklet, that should be given to the parent and that the parent would make sure it went with the child to that days setting and any thing that we all really needed to know would be put into it

We would name it by the county we are in, not the setting name and call it a journel

Thanks everyone, you've given me food for thought - first hurdle, convincing everyone that we need to get the ball rolling (- my setting included).

What happens when books (journals) go missing?, as most of us know - this is bound to happen. Who is responsible for setting up a new one?

Rosina - What sort of info do you mean by that which you all need to know? Sorry if I'm being a bit naive here.

Guest colechin

Hi all, we also have a Home/Nursery Diary which goes home each week. I only have one child that visits another setting and one that goes to a childminders. The other setting are very good and write in what they will be covering with the child that week and any pictures. We do like wise. The childminder doesn't want to be involved but, at least we have invited her.

I am due an Ofsted inspection any day now, so are trying to go through eveything we do and should be doing - especially getting my head around the planning! I also need to start on my SEF form.

Hi

I thought, Times and days at each setting. Which development stage we all saw the child to be at.The childs interests at each setting This sort of thing

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rosina

What format does your booklet have? I have a child who also attends another setting plus a childminder and each has agreed to the idea that I proposed of having a booklet that the parent takes to each setting, but now I have to devise one. Did you have an explanitory note at the beginning of the booklet and how often is it filled in?

Anita

If anyone already uses a booklet to share with other settings I would be grateful for any ideas. Did you design your own or did you just use an exercise book? What sort of information did you include to explain the use of the booklet? We hope to set this link up after half-term.

Anita

Hi. We use an exercise book with the child's name on the front. Inside parents have to complete their name and sign before anyone starts to fill it in and this part covers our permission to share information. Staff and other family members then sign in too. We use the book to pass comments on what the children have done, what they are enjoying, special achievements they have, etc.

With some parents it takes a few weeks before they have the confidence to make an entry, others you can't stop!

I wrote a simple letter to the other settings explaining we would try to complete an entry everytime the book was brought in but that I understood they would have to do it as time allowed. I also gave them our contact details in case they wanted to discuss anything. I asked the parents to pass these letters on as they are all currently reliable, but in other cases I may post them directly. I am assuming that where we had the child first we will use our method and book, but if other settings have different methods/children have already started somewhere else, I point out we are happy to use theirs.

Final point - one local setting who initially refused to use the books despite mum's best efforts (as well as mine) is now happy to do so, and I was told this week they have introduced their own! What is it they say about imitation....?

Its been mentioned that some of you share this information/books weekly and others termly, what would you suggest, are your books just plain exercise books?

Are you then doing this alongside the childrens learning journeys or special files?

sharon x

We do use them as well as childrens files and sometimes the information is passed over, other times it is put in the plans for the following day/week.

Hi Anita

The name of the book would be The. ............ ..(name of area) journel

Inside childs name,settings names and how to use it ie If the child had an achievement or problem ect The settings would briefly record what interest the child currantly had, their themes if any,ect

The Mum, anything she would want us all to know. It did help that we were all behind producing this book. The ownership of it was to be with the parent

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)