Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Co-ordinating A Geographically Split Foundation Stage

Does anyone else work in a school foundation stage where the F1 and F2 are split geographically?

We have a nursery (40 a.m with 1 teacher & 3 TA's /28 p.m with 1 teacher & 2 TA's) and an F2 ( 35 with 2 teachers & 1 TA in 2 classrooms joined by a corridor) but they are at opposite ends of the school and the head wants us to work together more as a foundation stage. The only times we really get together are for harvest and nativity plays, otherwise we are very much separate entities. Nursery has quite a good outside area which we are really working hard to develop but F2 have a bit of fenced off playground. We do have some rare Key stage meetings but even then it's difficult to plan together due to differences in buildings etc. What does or would anyone else do in this sort of situation? any ideas would be gratefully received!

I like you have a very similar situation. The nursery is across a courtyard and I am in the main part of the school building (the Reception Class). It can be difficult at times. This is how we go about getting together.

We meet at least twice a term a little more at the moment because of the changes. It is always after school. We have an agenda but have decided to have a time to stop the meeting. We were finding that the meetings were going on to long. What dosen't get discussed goes to the top of the agenda for the next meeting. What ever is on the agenda is in order of priority. This seems to work.

The children get together afternoon play time. But we are now thinking about getting togther at least once a week or term not yet decided. I have been thinking about having a Shared thinking afternoon. Not quiet clear how it will go but it will be about all children playing and working together. They might be set a challenge eg small groups working together from both F1 and F2 plan or make a robot or act out a story these are a bit random but trying to give you an idea of what we might try to do. I have no idea if this will work but will try it and see!!!!

These are just a few ideas probably not what you mean it might spark off your own ideas.

I hope it helps !

Hi we are also split. At the moment though we have 13 children visit the reception class twice a week with an NNEB for CLL and PSRN adult focused activities and freeplay for 2 out of the 2 1/2 hours. This is working really well as my N1 children have been with me for 4 terms now and the fresh environment is stimulating them all over again. A quick weekly meeting with the Reception teacher allows us to joint plan a focused activitiy with 4 levels of differentiation due to number staff through teaming up on those days. Perhaps if N1 has a better outdoor area some of the N2 children could access this with them on a rota basis with a TA in tow to do any adult focused activity. Hope this helps

Lisa

Hi, we have the same problem, our reception classes are at the other end of school and our nursery is in the year 6 corridor, gotto love old school layouts! We plan with our reception collegues every week and have focus mornings where the a.m nursery children join the reception classes to do a variety of activites, we found this helped them to find resources, get to know staff etc ready for their move into school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)