Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratio Query

I am just curious to know whether my last setting was just bad practice or the norm

But what is the ratio when children are asleep?

We used to have around 6 to 9 asleep in the baby room with the odd one awake and usually 1 or 2 staff depending on how many awake and 1 staff/student or 2 staff in the other sleep room with children aged 1 1/2 years to 4 years

I often queried while at work but was never given an answer, most of the times it was on staff though at the other setting it was no staff with a baby monitor in the room and the other half in another room with staff with some kids who didn't go to sleep

soz for the last reply, maybe not clear but you need to talk to your manager/deputy. The ratios should have been made clear when you were given your induction pack - if you feel the ratios adult to children are not being adhered to, then speak to your line manager/manager.

I am just curious to know whether my last setting was just bad practice or the norm

But what is the ratio when children are asleep?

We used to have around 6 to 9 asleep in the baby room with the odd one awake and usually 1 or 2 staff depending on how many awake and 1 staff/student or 2 staff in the other sleep room with children aged 1 1/2 years to 4 years

I often queried while at work but was never given an answer, most of the times it was on staff though at the other setting it was no staff with a baby monitor in the room and the other half in another room with staff with some kids who didn't go to sleep

Have a look in the new EYFS legal requirements- not got it infront of me but i seem to recall something about that.

Hope that helps!!

Hi all

Just checked the EYFS framework and it said:

Exceptions to the requirement that staff included in the ratios must be working directly with the

children may only be made in limited circumstances, such as when the children are sleeping or

resting. In these circumstances all the adults need not be present in the room with the children, but should be available nearby on the premises should they be needed.

Hope this helps!

I don't work there now.

This was just one of the many things i did not agree with.

The staff are not required to stay on site for lunch so I guess the staff aren't near by.

At the nursery most of the children went to sleep with the exception of around 12 kids so on average there were often 9 to 12 babies asleep and 12 to 16 2 to 4 year olds asleep sometimes more

I take on board what the EYFS says and that staff should be on the premises, but I do worry what would happen if the setting had to be evacuated during a time when most children were asleep. I do not work in a full daycare setting but have recently done a placement in one for my EYPS. The organisation of the premises there would give me grave cause for concern if the staff were not in the rooms during sleep periods as the staff rooms were on a different floor from the baby room. I know from having my own children how difficult it can be to rouse a sleeping child and move them, more so if there are a number of them and the situation requires you move quickly.

Obviously that is an extreme situation but not one that cannot be imagined.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)