Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Funding For Outdoors

I saw a lovely wellie stand / holder the other day............ that looked nice for outdoor experiences.

Also somewhere I visited had some simple racking outside so the children had easy access to tools and resources.

How about perspex attached to a wall and some clips to hold paper......... for outdoor painting and drawing etc.

Or a board along a wall painted with black board paint?

Large plastic bricks?

Some planter tubs? Compost?

Am I just going on do you think?????!!!!!

How nice to have money to spend!!

Hi just completed our outdoor area. Bought waterproof trousers and jackets think website was called sun togs (asked parents to supply wellies), bought a water butt that is filled up from water tray for children to access outside. Also got a maths box PSRN, now see they also do a literacy box, mark making box CLL and weather boxes for windy, rainy days, etc KUW. Have you considered a 1 metre square raised bed for vegetable growing? Or even just to dig in. You can also get guttering with stands that children fix together for KUW.

TTS have a website also recommend a look at D&G educational.

hope that helps

lisa

If you have a canopy or shelter of some sort and it has wooden posts you could attach a sheet of perspex to the posts for the children to paint on. Easy to clean at the end of the day with warm soapy water and if it is raining children can stand under the canopy and paint. I have also seen pulleys set up in sand pits which are great although need to be supervised at all times. Good luck with your outdoor area, I am sure the children will love it.

Hi everyone,

I have been given a small grant of £1000 to spend outdoors for nursery. We already have house, sand, water/ bikes, cars etc and large equipment. I would love some ideas for equipment for outdoor areas other than physical and would really appreciate ideas for resources for wet weather. Could anyone help with some ideas and maybe web sites I can buy from that will save money. I am hoping to build up to a covered outdoor area but suspect this will be rather expensive!!!!

Thanks

Sorry its late and I didn't read the last part of your post properly which said you didn't at present have a covered area, please ignore my suggestion for painting on perspex. I got so excited because I love working outdoors with the children and am always on the lookout for great ideas to improve the outdoor classroom. We don't have a covered area either but we can both live in hope!

We recently added a couple of new areas to our outdoor area. We're lucky to have a 6ft wooden fence surrounding our garden, which is great to attach things to. I bought two battens of wood and attached them both to the fence horizontally, one above the other, about 3ft apart. Then I attached some orange builders netting to the battens of wood, so that it sat away from the fence. I then attached various pieces of materials to the netting so that the children can use it as a giant threading area.

We also divided off a square of our garden using planks of wood and have filled it with bark chippings, we added tyres, large cut off tree trunks, crates, pieces of tarpaulin and then we add general stuff like spades (large and small), wheel barrows and anything else we have, such as boxes boxes etc.

The children love both of these and they didn't cost that much to make, which is always a bonus.

Love the perspex idea mrsW, I might just have to see of I can find myself some, thanks for that idea. :o

Edited by NickyR

We recently added a couple of new areas to our outdoor area. We're lucky to have a 6ft wooden fence surrounding our garden, which is great to attach things to. I bought two battens of wood and attached them both to the fence horizontally, one above the other, about 3ft apart. Then I attached some orange builders netting to the battens of wood, so that it sat away from the fence. I then attached various pieces of materials to the netting so that the children can use it as a giant threading area.

We also divided off a square of our garden using planks of wood and have filled it with bark chippings, we added tyres, large cut off tree trunks, crates, pieces of tarpaulin and then we add general stuff like spades (large and small), wheel barrows and anything else we have, such as boxes boxes etc.

The children love both of these and they didn't cost that much to make, which is always a bonus.

Love the perspex idea mrsW, I might just have to see of I can find myself some, thanks for that idea. :o

No problem, I love the idea of the garden area containing wood, tyres, cut tree trunks, crates etc. Do the children build dens? It sounds great fun.

No problem, I love the idea of the garden area containing wood, tyres, cut tree trunks, crates etc. Do the children build dens? It sounds great fun.

They do try to, although at the moment we have quite a few younger children in the Nursery and they haven't quite got the hang of it yet. I'm sure they will have cracked it by next term. I just love watching them develop, indoors and out.

Hi just completed our outdoor area. Bought waterproof trousers and jackets think website was called sun togs (asked parents to supply wellies), bought a water butt that is filled up from water tray for children to access outside. Also got a maths box PSRN, now see they also do a literacy box, mark making box CLL and weather boxes for windy, rainy days, etc KUW. Have you considered a 1 metre square raised bed for vegetable growing? Or even just to dig in. You can also get guttering with stands that children fix together for KUW.

TTS have a website also recommend a look at D&G educational.

hope that helps

lisa

Thank you so much. This all sounds fab, i love the sound of the boxes, which place did they come from? Thanks for your input :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)