Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interviews

SazzJ

I am applying for jobs in primary school. One is for a nursery nurse and the other is for a teaching assistant for in a nursery

I have 2 years experience in a varitey of settings and have experience of dealing with special needs but what is the best way to sell myself both on paper and in the interview, if i ever get one

I went to the school for an open day and its fab, new purpose built but not owned by council though they employ the the staff. The head seemed really entusiastic and wants someone who had experience of dealing with behavioural issues and EAL which I do have

I really struggle though when it comes to writing my skills and experiences down, have to give examples too.

Is the best way to break down the job/person descriotion and give an example or is there a better way?

I would do exactly what you suggest - break the job description/person spec down into individual skills, knowledge, experience, etc. and match what you have to those, giving concrete examples where you can.

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

I think concrete examples of all they are asking for would be a great idea too.....

My husband (recently made redundant) applied for a job and wasn't shortlisted apparently because he didn't reference something on the job description!

It is hard but you have to BIG yourself up.

Make your application stand out from the rest!

If a visit is offered do that too.............

GOOD LUCK :o

Try writing about yourself in the third person. It takes away the I did this and I did that syndrome. once you have written it them re-write it with the I put back.

It makes you look at yourself abit differently.

Good luck. Also try bullet pointing thing first them pad it out.

Steph

Go through the person spec and write down at least one or two things thatyou have done that relate to the key skill etc they are looking for. Then for those examples consider how did you make a difference?

After writing what you did it is a good tactic to give the impact or difference that made to the children to demonstrate your effectiveness

e.g I have good relationships with parents. I was involved in setting up the home visits programme and as a result children were able to make more secure starts to their time in nursery.

be concise - long winded applications are hard to read and the short lister can just give up! Short sentences that say exactly the key thing work well for me.

Good phrases are:

I was able to

I was part of the team that

I can

I believe that ....

I developed

Good luck!

Cx

Edited by catma