Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Can't Do Anything!

Hi all,

just ranting really. Have been told for 2 weeks now how rubbish the year 1 children are and how they can't do anything. All our FSP scores have been queried despite Year 1 teachers not knowing anything about it. Have just been given a list of things that our children need to do by the end of this year in order to get them ready for Year 1 despite me telling them that Early Years is not a training ground for Year 1. Does anyone else feel that their hard work of last year is being totally rubbished?? :o

Hello manrose, a warm welcome to the forum at this midnight hour :(:o

Sorry to hear your hard work is being so undervalued, and I really hope you are not having too many late/sleepless nights over it. I don't work in schools but do know that others have felt similar to you and I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say that year 1 teachers (well some anyway) don't know about FS.

Hopefully the Y1 teachers will recognise the results of the childrens FS experiences very soon, once their new children have settled into the NC experience.

I hope that you feel a little better 'sounding out' your grievances, and I am sure others who have had similar experiences will be along tomorrow to empathise, and hopefully some will have more positive experiences and ideas that will help you to help turnaround the current lack of understanding you are dealing with.

Just try and keep in mind that what you have taught and enabled your FS children to learn and experience is what matters, it is you the children will remember. xD

Peggy

I'm afraid lots in reception classes are finding this-sandwiched between the EYFS and agreeing with its principles and the expectations of further up school because of SATs, league tables etc etc

We have tried to educate our staff.We held a staff meeting in the nursery and did an overview of the EYFS and had activities out.Most never been into the nursery xD but were happy to judge us.

Yesterdays staff meeting was on stress management. I 'filled' in my stress audit grid :o with a request that each member of staff spends half a day in nursery so they see the baseline when children walk through the door.If they ( further up school) understood more maybe the stress put on us by their expectations would be less.

I also requested it the other way as well as I have no idea of the structure/routines/expectations on a year 5 teacher and children.

stick with what you know is the right thing for reception children and maybe gently remind YR 1 that some of their children only went 5 in the summer term!!

Hi - I think EYFS is great each child an individual learner - whilst I have no experience of year 1 on a professional level, and only talking from a parents view, what a shock year 1 onwards is. Some children are only just 5 when they start year 1 and I am sure their individual learning should be more play based like eyfs. Dot :o

Hi manrose, I had a good old rant here on sunday about how our year 1 teacher has done nothing but moan about how 'dire' the Foundation group are that have just gone into her class.

They had all reached scale point 7 or 8 in all areas, a couple even had 9's.

I've come to the conclusion that whatever we do will never be good enough for 'some' teachers who have never had any early years training and are stuck in the same way of teaching they have been doing for 20 years!

See I'm still ranting :o

Always makes me feel better, just keep doing what you're happy doing, it's good to give them something to moan about xD

jackie

At my school, a lot of the teachers further up the school don't get what reception is all about. I have asked if I can lead a staff meeting later on this term all about early years and the EYFS. It should be a bit of an eye opener to some! Plus- in my school the teacher in year one has been different every year for the past 5 years so it is very difficult to build on what we have been doing when they keep changing and have new expectations.

Hi everyone,

I am please to say that as a year 1 teacher (who has also taught reception) my children are expereincing a real 'transition' term of adventures this term to match their needs from their profile scores and gradually ensure they are ready for full on N C. Following the 'transition' doc recommendations with play based approach that will further develop what skills they need to continue in to full on NC. I am in a similar position with the year 2 teaching staff (in which i was 1 last year managed to change a few thing temporarily in my year 2 class)in that sometimes it feels like everyone agrees with our caretaker that chn should finish play and related activities like outdoor learning in reception and nursery!!!

Rant ,rant i could go on! heehee! :o

This is another reason why this forum is so important to remind each other we are not alone!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)